Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so heres the thing... she has been running a lil funny ever since the tranny swap. It seems like she is not getting enough gas. when driving at a constant freeway speed, she sputters a bit; and you can actually hear a "POOT".

Now, my mechanic said there were others that have come to him with the same issue, and its probably this fricken California gas. Now I cant lie... I been putting 89 octaine in her (trying to save a buck, as gas is $4 PER FLIPPIN GALLON!!!):nono:

So this weekend I changed the plugs (they were wayyyy bad), fuel filter, the oil is good (using Royal Purple synthetic), I probably should change the air filter. I put some 91 octaine in her and its still kinda doing the same. :headscratch: Im lost now.

But.... anyone have any ideas of what else this could be? Any suggestions on changes?

Oh by the way, probably a numb nut question; but the arrow on the fuel filter....should it point to the carb or the fuel pump? (I know, I know... I shouldnt be allowed to have a wrench)

Thanks for the help.

·
0 Posts
i live in northern cali and have had the same problem not just in the stang but in my 2000 expedition too and like 4 or 5 different gas stations which i thought was odd because i thought all the gas came from the same basic place

and toward the carb to answer your question

·
Registered
131 Posts
The arrow indicates the direction of fuel flow...it should point toward the carb.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ah but you actually ASKED the questions, which means you're lightyears ahead of the "step away from the tools" crowd!

In honor of your quest for automotive knowledge, I hereby return to you your wrench :)

As for the fuel, sounds awful. To even have the same problem in a modern vehicle, with knock sensors, MAF meters, computers, injector timing, etc and STILL not be able to overcome the problem, sounds like some bad gas! Until I read that I was sure the problem was the car......

Best of luck to ya. Gas is a steal at 'only' $3.43/gallon here in Missouri.

Michael

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
There in Cal., you are forced to use a reformulated fuel that is called "Oxygenated". The state has mandated the use of this stuff for environmental purposes. There's no telling what other non-beneficial (to the engine) additives are being added. Your best bet is to ask around some of the performance guys/gals in your area as to what they have had to do to make their engines run decently.

You may have to change the jetting in the carb and the ignition timing. Personally I think that the environmental movement has gone a little too far. It seems that people who have no idea of what a car needs to run properly are making your laws. Are you registered to vote?

·
Registered
56 Posts
no problems with gas here in monterey,car runs great!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problems with gas here in monterey,car runs great!!

My mechanic says he has been getting calls from other shops as well, saying that they are get cars with the same issues.

The weird thing too is my fuel filter shows full! I have never seen that, I usually see a bubble level but never full. The line is clear so I dont really get whats going on there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I just thought of something. They're putting ethanol into the formulation of the Cal. gas. Alchohol (ethanol, methanol) may be eating up the rubber components in the fuel system. A fuel pump diaphram is rubber and there's numerous rubber parts in the carb. Something to consider.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just thought of something. They're putting ethanol into the formulation of the Cal. gas. Alchohol (ethanol, methanol) may be eating up the rubber components in the fuel system. A fuel pump diaphram is rubber and there's numerous rubber parts in the carb. Something to consider.

My mechanic check the Carb and its running fine with good vacuum pressure. But he mentioned the same thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its helpful to all to post solutions; so here is mine.

So the issue that I was having seems to be electrical. But, dont get me wrong....Cali gas still sucks.

The Fix: The Wire that feeds into the coil was corroded and loose. I cut the wire and restripped it; trimming off the corrosion. I also put a new connector on the wire. Upon test drive I saw an immediate impact from all the other work I did (filter changes, plug changes, etc). It seems all issues have been corrected from this fix.

If you think there are other items to check... please let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.