Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a GOOD set of C/O's(but at this point I'll even take shocks/struts) for my '12, and all that's out there is the freaking stuff for the earlier car(S197). That thing is/was 500-pounds heavier, had A LOT less power and torque, and had different handling characteristics. Just because you can get it to fit with different strut mounts doesn't mean it'll work well. Hell...early Audi struts will also fit , but how well do you think those will work? The valving and spring rates are gonna be different on a car that weighs 500lbs more, and has that much less power.At least if the pieces are worth a ****(and if they're not, they won't work on anything). I have yet to even find a set that's re-valvable, which means there is absolutely NO difference between using this stuff on OUR car(s), and the Chinese made crap Civic owners buy just so they can say they have 'Coil-over's on their cars. NONE of it is re-valvable, and they DON'T offer alternative spring rates when you order them. Sure I'll be able to have a set of $4,000+ Ohlins or $7,000 Motons made up to work specifically for my car, but where's the $2,000 JIC's that work just as well for half/third the cost(and I know this because owned the $7k Motons and $2k JIC's)?
Isn't there anybody else out there asking for the CORRECT suspension pieces, instead of just taking the 'fits everything' that they're trying to cram down our throats?
To quote Bluto Blutarsky:
'Was it over when the German's bombed Pear Harbor? NO!
Who's with me?!?!'
If you're in the market for GOOD suspension for your '11/'12, tell 'em NO when they try to sell you the old crap. Don't buy it when they tell you pieces for a car that weighs 500lbs more, and has almost 100 less hp will 'work just fine' on your car. If enough people get educated on the matter, they'll stop selling the junk they've been peddling, and might just manufacture a correctly valved shock/strut, and properly valved and sprung C/O for our car(s).

It's a Monday...:banghead:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you answered your own question with your post title. It's still June 2011. Myself, I don't want anything with that little development time put into it. But then, I don't usually like when H&R/Eibach looks at the corner weights and throws some generic spring and dampening rate package together with what they have sitting around on the shelf. It's works fine 90% of the time, and is frustrating as hell the other 10% when it falls all over itself because little testing was done.

G

·
0 Posts
I think you answered your own question with your post title. It's still June 2011. Myself, I don't want anything with that little development time put into it. But then, I don't usually like when H&R/Eibach looks at the corner weights and throws some generic spring and dampening rate package together with what they have sitting around on the shelf. It's works fine 90% of the time, and is frustrating as hell the other 10% when it falls all over itself because little testing was done.
The chassis has been out since 2005, and even if being 2010+ specific is that important there have been race teams with the Boss for at least a year fine tuning the suspension. There is really nothing too new with the S197 chassis that hasn't already been designed for aftermarket suspension products.

If you really want to get picky about spring rates and valve tuning then look into a coilover setup like AST or Griggs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and saw the suspension tuner I've used before on my Evo's. Luckily they ran a car in the Mustang Challenge series or whatever the heck it was called, so he has a lot of set up data.
I appreciate the post with the links. I liked the one (Vorshag?) that was a blog written about setting up an '11 GT for the track, but I couldn't find any other entries beyond the first one saying what they WERE gonna do.
I don't car what anybody says, but the '11-'12 car DOES require different springs and valving then the previous model(s). A GOOD coilover is sensitive to things like weight balance, and power/torque. If some people mount up the stuff made for the older cars and it works for them, great. They're just not driving the car fast enough to get the suspension working hard enough to notice the differences. There' nothing wrong with that, as you WANT your suspension to work for your speed.
In any event, at least I now have someone that knows what they're doing committed to get me where I wanna be. Hopefully he'll get JIC to make a set.. They seem to work well with the set up I like, and are relatively inexpensive(around $2k) compared to other comparable CO's

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The 2010 gt is 500lbs more than the 2011?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree, even the KW system available is only the V3's which are fully adjustable. How about if i just want a standard kit from them. Whats so hard about offering the V1's?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went and saw the suspension tuner I've used before on my Evo's. Luckily they ran a car in the Mustang Challenge series or whatever the heck it was called, so he has a lot of set up data.
I appreciate the post with the links. I liked the one (Vorshag?) that was a blog written about setting up an '11 GT for the track, but I couldn't find any other entries beyond the first one saying what they WERE gonna do.
I don't car what anybody says, but the '11-'12 car DOES require different springs and valving then the previous model(s). A GOOD coilover is sensitive to things like weight balance, and power/torque. If some people mount up the stuff made for the older cars and it works for them, great. They're just not driving the car fast enough to get the suspension working hard enough to notice the differences. There' nothing wrong with that, as you WANT your suspension to work for your speed.
In any event, at least I now have someone that knows what they're doing committed to get me where I wanna be. Hopefully he'll get JIC to make a set.. They seem to work well with the set up I like, and are relatively inexpensive(around $2k) compared to other comparable CO's
I would suggest to contact Sam Strano at stranoparts.com I've always read very positive comments on him and his company.
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

·
Registered
49 Posts
KW makes V1s, as well.

Hotchkis also makes adjustable sway bars.

The only real difference between the new S197s and the older ones (other than slight changes in spring rates) is the front strut mounts. Maximum motorsports makes adjustable mounts for the 2011+. And since you're looking at coilovers, you're probably going to get custom spring rates, anyway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why are you stating that the 2010's weigh 500lbs more?? LOL, that is false. The 2011 actually weighs a little more from my understanding. My only complaint is they are slow to come out with 2011+ specific struts...although Eibach just came out with some due out in July.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, even the KW system available is only the V3's which are fully adjustable. How about if i just want a standard kit from them. Whats so hard about offering the V1's?
I believe the V1's are non-adjustable, and IMO that's a waste. You gotta be able to adjust for various tracks/conditions.. But the upside to KW is there are a qualified tuners out there that know how to rebuild/revalve 'em. I'm assuming the V1's are revalve and rebuildable. IMO you not only need you suspension to be adjustable, you need 'em to be double adjustable. This crap of combining the rebound and compression circuits in one adjuster is B.S. It's bad enough when you have either bleeding over to the other with double adjustable bits, but when they're on the same circuit to begin with, you've got no freaking choice. You like your compression damping but want to slow down the rebound a tad bit... TOO BAD. You're gonna be adding more compression too.
FWIW Robispec(Hesperia Calif) is the best KW suspension tech/shop I know of. And I saw a site that had V1's listed for the Mustang. Can't remember the name though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
KW V1 coilovers are height-adjustable only. KW claims that their engineers set the bound and rebound settings on the dampers for the best balance of comfort and street/track performance.

I'd rather spend the extra money and have the adjustability of the V3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe the V1's are non-adjustable, and IMO that's a waste. You gotta be able to adjust for various tracks/conditions.. But the upside to KW is there are a qualified tuners out there that know how to rebuild/revalve 'em. I'm assuming the V1's are revalve and rebuildable. IMO you not only need you suspension to be adjustable, you need 'em to be double adjustable. This crap of combining the rebound and compression circuits in one adjuster is B.S. It's bad enough when you have either bleeding over to the other with double adjustable bits, but when they're on the same circuit to begin with, you've got no freaking choice. You like your compression damping but want to slow down the rebound a tad bit... TOO BAD. You're gonna be adding more compression too.
FWIW Robispec(Hesperia Calif) is the best KW suspension tech/shop I know of. And I saw a site that had V1's listed for the Mustang. Can't remember the name though.
KW V1 coilovers are height-adjustable only. KW claims that their engineers set the bound and rebound settings on the dampers for the best balance of comfort and street/track performance.

I'd rather spend the extra money and have the adjustability of the V3.

Guys, i agree with you. There is no question that the V3's will be better for track use to fine tune the suspension. However, for John Doe who will never see the track and just wants a bit more aggressive suspension and the ability to slam it on command, the V1's are a better option.

G

·
0 Posts
Guys, i agree with you. There is no question that the V3's will be better for track use to fine tune the suspension. However, for John Doe who will never see the track and just wants a bit more aggressive suspension and the ability to slam it on command, the V1's are a better option.
To slam a car on demand I would go with Airride technologies. They had a 2010+ demo car already.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Since when did the 2011 weigh 3000 pounds?!?

According to all of the specs I've read, the 2011 weighs MORE than the 2010 due to more complex valvetrain (two extra cams and TiVCT) and 6spd vs the previous 5spd.

Like someone stated already, Boss & FR500 Mustangs are KILLING it in professional roadracing, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the existing equipment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
KW ClubSport is available for the Mustang GT. It's in the KW catalog but not on the North American website.

Double-adjustable (compression and rebound) dampers and ride height with 60mm race springs. Part number is 35230845. Front spring rate 570#, rear 340#.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't know man the Illuminas (I think) that the Laguna Seca boss uses are enough to throw it around Laguna Seca as fast as the carbon brake version of the Z06.

Maybe check with koni to see if you can get their coilover set that the Grand Am bossR uses?

·
Registered
47 Posts
KW ClubSport is available for the Mustang GT. It's in the KW catalog but not on the North American website.

Double-adjustable (compression and rebound) dampers and ride height with 60mm race springs. Part number is 35230845. Front spring rate 570#, rear 340#.
i know this is a thread revival from the dead. i have clubsports and love the build quality, but i'm still trying to sort out the ride. anyone have these, or aggressive coilovers with pointers on how they (personally) dialed in their settings. strano?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts