Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
MPG is all how you drive. When I was stock I was getting combined numbers around 19/20 and as high as 28 highway. Now I'm running a TVS and full exhaust and I am getting 17/18 when I don't run it hard. In the city I'm getting around 11 and have gotten 24 on the highway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I drive winding Pennsylvania roads to work everyday which are insanely fun (with there's not someone in front of you doing the speed limit) and I don't take it easy. I have about 2500 miles right now and I average about 15.5mpg. However, this is my first manual transmission car so I'm still getting the nuances of everything, and my mpg is going up as I get better and the car gets broken in. But, as has been said, I didn't buy it for the mileage. Only got 18 in my 4 cylinder I had before the mustang because I drove it hard, so I lost a few mpg, but it's SO much more fun, though I do use premium, so it does add up.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My 2007 GT 5-speed gets about 16-17 city and 24.75 highway when I drive right (cruise set around 78), 14/21 when I don't.

My 2006 GT automatic got 14-15 city and 21 highway when driven right, 12.5/18 when I didn't.

2006 GT was computer and hand verified; the 2007 is all hand. I went with a deluxe GT to avoid the door panel mess falling again, but the computer and hand were both very close.

I may be wrong, but I believe the 2011-2014 5.0s are extremely close, if not a slight bit higher than the 4.6 3vs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm averaging about 18mpg but have only had the car a few weeks so hopefully it will go up some. But ultimately it is a weekend toy so doesn't matter much, I wanted the 5.0 so knew the mileage was going to suck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
15 months and 4200 miles. I use 93 octane and my care has 3.73's. Not overly aggressive driving, but block to block stops. 9 mpg's. Seriously. 24 mpgs when cruise is on 70mph

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok going to be getting a new GT. I see the numbers posted are 18/25?

I have a 2007 V6 with 20" shelby wheels and big tires that the sticker MPG are 18/26

So can it be right that I can get the same MPG on a New GT as my 2007 V6?

What numbers are you guys getting and what do you think?
Ford's current 5.0 engine is impressive - I have one in a 2011 Mustang GT Automatic and another in a 2013 F150 (my four wheel drive winter Mustang).

For the first 34,184 miles the Mustang has averaged 27.07269 miles per (US) gallon (that is 2 MPG over the EPA's highway rating for the car), with a low average for a full tank of 22.88 MPG, and a high average for a full tank of 32.29 MPG. The hand calculated MPG is typically 6% to 8% higher than the MPG readout on the dash. The 5.0 in the F150... the hand calculated MPG is typically 6% to 8% lower than the readout on the dash, and is running in the neighborhood of what I expected from the Mustang when I custom ordered it (somewhere around 16.5 MPG).

The fuel efficiency of the Mustang's 5.0 is heavily dependent on how you drive the car. Several cold starts per tank with short trips (less than 10 miles each), with a few full throttle runs will probably allow the Mustang's 5.0 to return 22-23 MPG. Forcing the engine to shift above 2,000 RPM on most shifts will drop that MPG by 2 or 3. Failing to coast in gear when approaching stop signs / red lights will drop that MPG by another 2 or 3 MPG. So, my Mustang's low of 22.88 MPG could have very easily been 18 MPG or less with slight tweaks to driving behavior.

At least once or twice a tank I plant the accelerator to the floorboard to bring the Mustang up to the speed limit - that might help to blow the carbon buildup out of the engine.

Attached are three pictures that show the MPG readout on the dash of my car: Picture 1 is from today, indicating that the current tank is at 27.0 MPG (actual MPG should be close to 29.1). Picture 2 is from two years ago on the second to best full tank average, with a 30.2 showing on the dash. Picture 3 is from a week after I bought the Mustang, showing 26.4 MPG at 1088 miles (I put nearly 2,000 miles on the car within the first 14 days, mostly just cruising around).

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
This:

photo mpg.JPG

"Hypermiling" experiment. Near Leominster MA to Tenafly NJ. End of run is 31.2 on trip computer, adjusting down 3% from my stock tire size to the 255/40/19 Michelin PSS I run now gives a corrected 30.2 mpg. 201 mile trip, filled tank at start, have about 9/16 tank left (9 gallons) left. I saw 31.7 crossing into NY on the Merit Pkwy. Yes, I have previously checked my trip computer with fillup amounts and it is dead nuts on.

I generally get 22-24 mpg.

L

·
0 Posts
Haven't reset my mpg calculator in awhile and it's been sitting at around 17mpg. I probably do a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving. I've got the 3.73 rear-end gears but for the most part I putt around town like grandpa. I can't complain though - I knew what I was getting myself into ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't reset often. Right now it is showing 17.1

Mostly 'city' driving.

I jump on it now and again.

But when you buy a Mustang, the MPGs should not even be something to look at.

·
Registered
91 Posts
14 GT track pack, 3.73 rear end with 5w-50 engine oil (I think I would get a mile or two better with 5w-20, something to maybe think about for the winter) I do about 25% highway and 75% city I get about 16mpg (17 if the weather is hot and I don't push the car too much, or it could go to 15 with "spirited" driving)

·
Registered
163 Posts
This:

View attachment 356233

"Hypermiling" experiment. Near Leominster MA to Tenafly NJ. End of run is 31.2 on trip computer, adjusting down 3% from my stock tire size to the 255/40/19 Michelin PSS I run now gives a corrected 30.2 mpg. 201 mile trip, filled tank at start, have about 9/16 tank left (9 gallons) left. I saw 31.7 crossing into NY on the Merit Pkwy. Yes, I have previously checked my trip computer with fillup amounts and it is dead nuts on.

I generally get 22-24 mpg.
After trip back- 402 miles total - 14.0 gallons to fill up = 28.6 mpg.

·
Registered
186 Posts
40,000 miles on my 2011 GT and I am getting an average of 19.3 around town with some spirited driving. If I let the wife drive it (mostly highway) she manages to get it up to 22 to 23. I have only seen 24 to 25 on the interstate.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Ive got a track pack car with 3.73 gears. Stock except the mufflers and I get about 20-21mpg. 80% highway driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You all are getting pretty good MPG. I'm lucky to be around 16 in mixed city/freeway driving. I guess my right foot is a bit too heavy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2014 GT 1600mi on the clock and I'm averaging 21mpg in mixed driving. I'm thrilled with that. My previous car was an M6 and the exact same driving netted me 16mpg.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts