Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy some wheels for my car off of Craigslist.

The wheels are: 17x9 in the front, and 17x10.5 in the rear.

The tires are: 275-40z-17 in the front, and 315-35z-r17 in the rear.

These wheels were previously on a 2000 GT.

I would like to know:

Whether or not the wheels would fit a 2005 V6.

How much would they hang out past the fender well in the rear.

If there are any pictures of any S197s running 17x10.5 in the rear, posting would be appreciated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The offset on stock 2000 Mustang wheels is different than the 2005, but I don't know if they sit farther in or farther out. The point is that wheels/tires that fit fine on a 2000 may not work on a 2005.

Looking at pictures of 17x10.5 wheels on other 2005 Mustangs won't give you a good answer on fitment unless you know the specs on the wheels and tires in the picture. You may just need to try them on your car and see how they fit.

Bruce

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what the wheels look like I don't know if it helps or not but the guy says he doesn't have any specs on the wheels lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I think you may be headed for some problems with those wheels . . .

on the back of the wheels, they should be stamped with the offset -- for the 05 I think you need 40-50mm offset for them to sit correctly in the wheel-wells

less offset and they will stick out too far ; more offset and they will be set in too far

also be aware 275 is quite wide for a 9" wheel, I'm not sure if that would fall within the tire manufacturer's recommendation for wheel width -- you can look up the tires on tirerack, then look at "specs" and it will show the recommended wheel width range

on the S197, 255 is generally accepted as the "safe maximum" tire width on the front; I think you can go wider than that but the wheel offset becomes very critical or you will have rubbing issues

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don’t have firsthand experience with the 2000 wheels, but I seem to remember several years ago posts on the forum indicating there was an issue with wheels from previous years not fitting the S197s. May want to do a forum search, may be able to dig it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to replace the front tires anyway so that's not a problem. What I'm worried about is the rear wheels. I did do a forum search before I posted this thread because the other threads didn't help out much. I'm going to post the specs of the wheel when the guy gets home and takes more detailed pictures of the wheels.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
find out what the bolt patter size is. seems to me i saw a 04 mustang with 05 16" wheels on it and it looked pretty good, but they might have used a adapter.

ive got 275/50-17 on 9" wheels on the rear. 9" is the min limit for a 275, and its a real wide tire.

look up silverbullet07 on here. i think he did just what you are wanted to do on his 07, and he thought it worked out ok.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
they fit fine, and they stick out a little bit more than the stock rims, so the tires are more flush with the fender flares. they look really aggressive.

i had 275 or 285's on the back, i cant remember which.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they fit fine, and they stick out a little bit more than the stock rims, so the tires are more flush with the fender flares. they look really aggressive.

i had 275 or 285's on the back, i cant remember which.

Do you have any pictures of those on? This guy has 315s in the back and 275 in the front but I'm going to change the tires on the front, I'm mainly worried about the rear wheels hanging out way too much with the 17x10.5. I would've posted more pictures of those wheels but the guy didn't send me any more lol.

If you could post any pictures, that would be great.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
if you can find out what the offset is on those wheels, that will tell the story and you can stop guessing

if the offset is not stamped on the back of the wheels, you can ask him to measure the back spacing (which is sort of a different measure for the same thing)

stock offset for S197 cars is 44mm for 8" wide wheels, 50mm for 8.5" wide (these put the outside edge of the wheel at nearly the same place under the car)

here is a cool offset calculator with diagram to show what it all means:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you can find out what the offset is on those wheels, that will tell the story and you can stop guessing

if the offset is not stamped on the back of the wheels, you can ask him to measure the back spacing (which is sort of a different measure for the same thing)

stock offset for S197 cars is 44mm for 8" wide wheels, 50mm for 8.5" wide (these put the outside edge of the wheel at nearly the same place under the car)

here is a cool offset calculator with diagram to show what it all means:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
I just asked him for the backspacing and thanks for the tool man. I have to keep pushing the guy to send me pictures of the wheels.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Find out what brand they are, then look them up, most wheels are only available in two offsets most are only one on the 04 and earlier mustang aftermarket wheels. I run American Racing Shelby series and they only offered two offsets, one for GT and one for GT500 the only reason was brake caliper clearance. But because they are designed for the S197 I have 295 that I can set inside my fender, they clear by a piece of paper. Glad the S197 has a factory rolled lip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts