Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I guess a little intro is in order. Lifelong mustang fan here. I had a 95 GT for a while. I sold it a couple of years ago, but missed having a mustang. My favorite has always been the 5.0 notch. I looked for a few months and almost gave up, when I happened onto a pretty nice reef blue 93 coupe with some nice upgrades, which leads to my question. My car has 10" wide welds on the rear with 275 nitto drag radials. They get "stuffed" under the fender lip sometimes :sosad: doing damage to both tire and fender. I don't want to roll the lip. I would like to know if I change to 8 inch welds with 5.5 backspacing, what is the widest tire that I can put on the rear without this problem? I have heard at least one owner say that he runs the 275 BFGs on 8" without problems. I don't understand how that can be. If I try 275 tires on 8" wheels with the same backspacing as the 10", nothing has been done to change to tread width of the tire. Won't I just have the same problem on a smaller wheel?:confused:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
they should be able to swap over to the 8" rims without any problems. May want to consult with a shop before you pay for something that wont fit but Im 99% sure they will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know the widest tire that can go on 8" welds with 5.5 backspacing without clearance issues?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.