Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a Florida newbie.

Just joined the site today and excited about being a member.

Just purchased a 2012 glossy black V6 for our son's birthday and looking for some suggestions & recommendations to add some "personality" to the car. I'm mainly looking at the Bullit rims and adding some type of striping. After seeing a number of pics, I'm thinking a silver or gun metal grey would look best with the gloss black of the body.

As far as the rims, we have 17" wheels right now and am not ready to invest in anything larger. So, I'm looking at the ones on the AM site: 2010-2014 Ford Mustang Wheels & Rims at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! (chrome, anthracite, black w/silver rim, black matte w/ silver rim, silver, solid black).

With the striping, I originally thought the LeMans but not sure I want the ride to stand out that much. Am thinking a combination of hood side with rear side or C-style side vinyl might look good. That would keep the cost down, add some color and could be removed easily later on.

While I know it's up to me, I'l love to see some pics of black Mustangs with similar decals or hear any other suggestions you might have.

While he won't be getting it until the end of next month I'd like to get some things ordered so it will be finished in time. BTW, he thinks he's getting the family 2000 4Runner that both sisters have driven already. Should be fun.

Thanks in advance for your help and feel free to contact me directly.

:thanks:

--John in J'ville

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i personally like the matte black stripes haha

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i personally like the matte black stripes haha
Yeah, those are nice and subtle but didn't think they would stand out if we were getting the smaller decals.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thats Awesome! Im 17 and I payed half for mine.
Personally I would just give him the car and $1000 Gift Card to American Muscle.
That way he can do what he wants and make the car his own!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Lemans stripes from Shelby and chrome 20" rims ... or gunmetal would look great. Of course that's just my opinion. I have pics on my AFM site if you're interested.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats Awesome! Im 17 and I payed half for mine.
Personally I would just give him the car and $1000 Gift Card to American Muscle.
That way he can do what he wants and make the car his own!
Good idea too. We thought about that as well. Just have a month with a blank canvas and eager to get started.

Thanks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
But yea If i had to choose, Matte Black Lemans Stripes.
Also when you give him the car put a camera in it facing the drivers seat and film the reaction!

Also I would get a different exhaust, the stock V6 is pretty quite.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But yea If i had to choose, Matte Black Lemans Stripes.
Also when you give him the car put a camera in it facing the drivers seat and film the reaction!

Also I would get a different exhaust, the stock V6 is pretty quite.
Don't know a whole lot about the exhaust. Any suggestions for a simple switch that would add some growl? Thanks again.

·
Registered
467 Posts
How much Growl are we talking?
There are lots of exhausts out there. For a good one your looking at $500+ for Axle backs which is really easy to install, should take a shop like 20 mins.
My personal favorite is the ATAK, they are very nice but they are loud and pricey.
Borla ATAK Mustang 2011 2012 2013 2014 V6 - YouTube

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey if ya want red stripes take a look at mine on my profile. I got em on the sides and across the body of the car. I got them from big worm graphics def. recomend them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
How much Growl are we talking?
There are lots of exhausts out there. For a good one your looking at $500+ for Axle backs which is really easy to install, should take a shop like 20 mins.
My personal favorite is the ATAK, they are very nice but they are loud and pricey.
Borla ATAK Mustang 2011 2012 2013 2014 V6 - YouTube
Didnt know you were 17 also! Haha i was 17 and got mine now 18 haha

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey if ya want red stripes take a look at mine on my profile. I got em on the sides and across the body of the car. I got them from big worm graphics def. recomend them

Looks good Matt. Thanks for sharing and I'll check them out as well.
--John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah they got all kinds of colors i was thinking about getting the light blue with the black before decided on red. I like how they stand out more with the pinstripes accenting the main stripes. Makes it different compared to all the other mustang stripes out there

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
OP,

Congrats on your new 2013 Mustang and welcome to the Forums!

I think a set of Black Bullitt wheels would look best with your paint scheme. The polished lip really stands out against the gloss black paint. Plus, we have them available in 17x8, so the factory tires can be reused.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

Shane

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Haha I thought I told you lol.

You 2 are lucky to be 17 and 18 driving the mustang. I'm 26 now and finally bought the mustang a couple years back! lol having said that, a v6 mustang in canada costs about the same as a GT. So I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Hell my High School car was a 1983 Toyota Cressida, while comfy I'd rather have been in a new mustang:bounce2:

As for the OP, making cosmetic changes on his behalf seems like a difficult task. Even for my own car it takes me so much time deciding what I want it to look like. I would do Chrome 17'' from AM for the $159/each they cost or the Black with Polished lip will look slick too for $129/each. I just always see the Black Bullitts with polished lip in a 17'' and they remind me of the entry stock Camaro wheels at a quick glance. In a larger wheel 19+ I think they would look even better. I would get the Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back for $669 from AM gives it a nice deep growl without being super loud. It would look nice with a set of 17'' Chromes and some nice Chrome Tips from the FRPP's for $1,305 total.

Or you could just do a bunch of cheaper performance upgrades for him that he'll probably do anyway. They won't change the look of the car, so he can do that himself. Almost all owners get a cold air intake. So you can get him an Airaid and install it yourself in 30min. And a Tuner, if it's an Auto I can't remember, will help it a lot with shift points and power. $590 for both and installed in 40min yourself. If I was 17 again I'd probably vouch for the exhaust to. Nothing feels better than showing your buddies your new ride with both looks and sound.

Here's a clip of forum member, Jonlomesir, car with the frpp's. I've heard a car with them on in person too, very quiet when idle and cruising. only when you punch it do you hear it. Very deep growl too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3DT0NBQ0F0

·
Registered
273 Posts
300 HP is still a lot for a 16 year old. A tune to limit RPMs and top speed is a good mod. When we have kids, I will be inspecting under the hood frequently and looking for aftermarket mods. I would hate to see a kid wrap a car around a telephone pole. Sadly, it happens way too often.

·
Banned
237 Posts
If your gonna replace the wheels at least go to 18x8, no sense in buying the same thing thats on it, a no brainer upgrade. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
300 HP is still a lot for a 16 year old. A tune to limit RPMs and top speed is a good mod. When we have kids, I will be inspecting under the hood frequently and looking for aftermarket mods. I would hate to see a kid wrap a car around a telephone pole. Sadly, it happens way too often.
What i vote and what my dad did. Listen its a fast car chances are he wants to go fast
1. Let the kid race. Bring him to a track and explain racing is for the track. I will support you racing but if you are caught on the street... the car goes
2. I will be honest i have lost or almost lost the car... once was on the strip wheels spun up and i almost did a 360 my fault i scrapped the run and others were in a parking lot or in snow... it is my dd
3. Send him to a racing/ high peformance driving school... we are still looking for one that we like and wont cost an arm and a leg... im doing auto x maybe do that with him... you think racing is dumb maybe but auto x will teach him car control amd what to do in an emergency while only knockimg a few cones.
4. To be honest i slowed way downnom the street after i raced the 1320... it humbled me and taught me racimg is for the track
Idk my suggestions coming from a 18 yr old
And i wouldnt say limit rpm and speed... my parents say trust is a beautiful thing we will give it all untill you give us a reason to take it from you and also i originally had my key on my car and driving the turn pike... primarily 18 wheelers i actually felt it was dangerous to be limited to only 70...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.