Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, back again...

I don't know how many times i have posted on here just because all types of issues this car is giving me...Recently I got new wheels and tires. Front 20x9 and rear 20x10. I fitted 255/35R20 on the front and 275/35R20 on the rear. Now after I mounted the tires, I noticed my driver side rear tire is sticking out by a little and the passenger side rear tire is tucking in a little...I took it to a suspension shop and the mechanic told me it's because of the wider tires I'll need to have a new adjustable panhard bar. Is that going to fix the problem? I know it's not because the axle is loose or the C-clip is lose because I've taken this car up to 140+mph multiple times after I got the new wheels and tires mounted and the diff did not explode and axle did not break. Has anyone else had any similar type of problems? If so what did you do to fix?

Also, got 4 19" machined 10 spoke 2010-12 GT premium wheels for sale. Painted black and very little wear. PM me if interested.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The car was probably fitted with lowering springs and, because it still has the stock panhard bar, the rear axle is now off center. An adjustable panhard bar will correct it but the wider tires have nothing to do with the problem.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
If the amount that one is sticking out is about the same as the amount that the other is tucked in, then you can fix that by recentering the axle with an adjustable panhard bar, like Bullitt said.

The wider tires did not cause the problem, but probably made it more noticeable, because both sides were tucked in before so it was not visible that they were uneven (it is more visible when one is sticking out).

It sounds like the offset of the rear wheels is pushing the wheels/tires out so they will be just barely even with the wheel well when centered, which is also making it more noticeable. Hopefully the wheels were correctly sized so that when the axle is centered the tires will be even with the wheel well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Many, if not most of these cars came out of the plant with the rear axle pushed slightly towards the driver's side. The stock panhard bar is slightly too long. The wider tires just made it more obvious. Unless the driver's side tire is rubbing the fender, it's purely a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the car is still fitted with stock springs at stock ride height. I am planning on lowering the car soon but if the adjustable panhard bar can fix this then that'll be perfect. Thanks guys

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well the car is still fitted with stock springs at stock ride height. I am planning on lowering the car soon but if the adjustable panhard bar can fix this then that'll be perfect. Thanks guys
If you were planning to lower it, then you would need to get one anyway. This just accelerated that need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts