Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When can I start putting on my Cai, tune and delete plates the car has 1600 miles on an 08 GT convert. Should I wait until after the first oil change to be safe? I currently have a steeda cai, delete plates, and tune. I have all ready done udps, and strut brace. I plan on 3.73 gears and kooks headers.

Thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
One should change the oil and filter at the first 700 miles. The reason is a new engine will shed metal filings and you don't want that in there for 7,500 miles. Plus the car has been driven under extrema conditions and the original oil has been for some time.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
One should change the oil and filter at the first 700 miles. The reason is a new engine will shed metal filings and you don't want that in there for 7,500 miles. Plus the car has been driven under extrema conditions and the original oil has been for some time.
Maybe on a 57 Chevy but not on today's cars. Old cars used to have break-in oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service guy said that I should wait until about 3K if not before. Just that if I have any warranty issues, then I have to take it all off correct?? Thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe on a 57 Chevy but not on today's cars. Old cars used to have break-in oil.
It has nothing to do with break in oil, that is why it is OK to change it at 700 miles, it has to do with with a new engine flaking off tiny bits of metal. Also my brand new car was built 8 months before I bought it: 8 month old oil full of metal filings, no thank you. I did it my self; it cost me $28 so it couldn't hurt. I like Fram filters better too.

To the OP be careful with non Ford Racing mods not installed by a dealer. You will need a tune and that could void your warrior if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
It has nothing to do with break in oil, that is why it is OK to change it at 700 miles, it has to do with with a new engine flaking off tiny bits of metal. Also my brand new car was built 8 months before I bought it: 8 month old oil full of metal filings, no thank you. I did it my self; it cost me $28 so it couldn't hurt. I like Fram filters better too.

To the OP be careful with non Ford Racing mods not installed by a dealer. You will need a tune and that could void your warrior if something goes wrong.
You can do much better than a Fram filter. They aren't built very well. Wix or Motorcraft are much better.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
When can I start putting on my Cai, tune and delete plates the car has 1600 miles on an 08 GT convert. Should I wait until after the first oil change to be safe? I currently have a steeda cai, delete plates, and tune. I have all ready done udps, and strut brace. I plan on 3.73 gears and kooks headers.

Thanks
A log time ago.

These days motors are mostly broken in after 10 heat cycles (everything short of the rings). You don't even ned to drive it. Then bolt all you stuff on and rage on the car like you stole it. That will seat the rings correctly.

I have been taking new motorcycles out of the crate since 1998 (about 25 bikes), doing 10 heat cycles, building them into a track bikes, taking them directly to the track and pounding on them once the tires are warmed up. Every time I tear one down to mod them or freshen up they cyliders, pistons and bearings look like they are new. On the flip side I have seen a ton of people take it easy on their bike for the first 1500mi and then end up having blowby issues because the rings never seated correctly.

I ran my mustang aroud for 700 hard miles while waiting for my blower and when it got here it went right on the car and I have been driving the crap out of it since then. I changed out the OEM oil at 1500 miles and have only changed the oil twice since then (07 GT with 8000 miles)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.