Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when changing my fuel filter should i remove the fuel pump relay then start my car till it dies out. thats what Haynes Book says to do it just seems like thats not good for the engine...?

and any other tips changing my filter would be awesome

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
It won't harm the engine at all. If you don't release the pressure the resultant fuel spray may hurt you though.

Raise the car on jack stands high enough to access the area comfortably. Then go have breakfast and let the car cool. Read up in Haynes the method for disconnecting the fittings- do it right and it's easy, do it wrong and it will be a PITA. Wear safety glasses or goggles, and use nitrile gloves. Have a large rag or small old towel handy with you, as there is no way to not spill dirty fuel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No need to do all that removing relay, spinning motor over stuff. It is helpful to lessen the chance of getting fuel on you, but not needed.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Keep the key out of the ignition and you don't need to do any removal of the fuel pump relay, all you need is a rag as the majority of fuel will be in the filter itself not much going to come out of the fuel lines! Dispose of the old filter properly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts