Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my actual question. However I am listing the problem I am having in full below this question.

When installing a new fuel pump relay does the relay need to be connected to the metal housing under the seat as well?

Here is my problem in full:

I bought this 89 mustang lx 5.0 about a month ago. I drove it for 4 days with it running flawless. Then went to crank it one morning and all it would do was turn over with no intentions of starting. I have some how managed to crank it 3 times since this problem started. Looking back it seems like the 3 start times were after me tinkering with things like the fp relay, the inertia switch, &/or misc. tinkering. So after (I guess prematurely) dropping the tank & replacing the fuel pump, then next replacing the relay. I am still not getting any response from the fuel pump when I turn it on.

Do you think being that it has started a few times for me after tinkering this could mean its more than likely a short somewhere? Or does anything I have done or said make you guys think of something more obvious to check out? I'm almost to the point of handing it over to a mechanic as I am getting so frustrated.

How can I go about putting in a temporary turn on/off switch for the fuel pump. Is this an option for me or even advised? If so at least to check problems out, how would this be done?

Any and all answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
When installing a new fuel pump relay does the relay need to be connected to the metal housing under the seat as well?
Probably should be.... but no it doesn't have to attached to the metal bracket. The bracket is only there to keep it in place under the seat and nothing else.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Mine is just laying under the carpet. You need to check the pin on your ECM and check by grounding the eec iv port to see if it comes on. I dont remember the ECM pin number sorry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably should be.... but no it doesn't have to attached to the metal bracket. The bracket is only there to keep it in place under the seat and nothing else.
So I can assume its not a ground that could still be causing this problem by it not being connected to the metal housing. damn!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I was told not to put in a temporary switch due to it being dangerous.....No idea. I replaced the ignition switch and fuel pump replay and didnt help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts