Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

“The waiting game” is the least exciting way to pass the time, but if you’re looking to get a good deal on a new car, then you’re going to have to be patient.

Many people don’t realize that carefully choosing when to buy your car can save you quite a bit of money. Well timed car purchases could save you thousands of dollars, if you play it just right. Here are a few tips to help you net that car you want – all while saving some precious money.

The Numbers Games
Dealerships and automakers award successful sales staff with money or perks for moving a certain number of vehicles during a given time period.

Steve Emery a consultant from the National Automobile Dealers Association explains that incentives can come from the automaker or within the dealership. Those issued by the automaker, are usually annually or quarterly, although monthly sales goals aren’t uncommon either. Then each dealership has their own incentive program for their sales managers and sales staff. “They’re like contests and can take place over a month,” he says. “The incentives for the sales staff works in a stepped manner- if you sell 10 cars you get a $500 dollar bonus all the way up to, let’s say 15 cars gets you $1,000.”

Emery advises buyers to visit dealerships at the end of the month in order to gauge how hungry the dealership is to make a deal. If the salesperson is desperate to hit their target that month or quarter they may offer a few discounts, or forgo the usual lengthy process and headache when it comes to buying a new car.
Looking to buy a car? Then you need to know when the best time to buy a car is. Read more at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
depends on what kind if you want a mustang then winte

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
When you can afford it !

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
56 Posts
Truecar.com absolutely great tool for buying a car. I've used it twice now! And as far as timing goes, right before the new model comes out (ie: now for a 2014). Also, after it's been raining for a few days (if you live in a sunny city).

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Personally, I will not buy a new car until I have no other debt (house, student loans, etc.) as it is a poor financial investment. Buying a 5 year old under 50,000 mile car is usually half to a third of the original purchase price, but if buying a new car, the list is right about going between dealers and incentives. You'll also do good by going to a dealer you're not going to purchase from and get them as low as you can on the price negotiation, and take it a hair lower to the place you're intending to purchase from (my father paid $16,000 for a $24,000 window sticker car by shopping between competing dealers last year).

I would also wait until 2-3 years into a body style change to purchase. Most companies generally work out the kinks by then, prices level out or drop, incentives are higher, and the car will be proven.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had great luck buying a new car right before the new cars are delivered to the dealer. Saved thousands of dollars with my current and three prior purchases around the July/August time frame. Most dealerships are hungry to get rid of their current inventory to make room for new cars.

Then again, you need to have your ducks in a row. Call your county's tax office and find out the assessed tax value of the car you want to purchase and check out the prices of car from dealers within a few hours of where you live. Bring in copies of their offers to your local dealership and make them match or beat the best price and/or assessed tax value of the car you want to purchase. Being able to get the maximum for your trade-in an putting down some cash will help lower the amount you'll have to finance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i think its hard to say for sure what tactics work all the time. sometimes you just get a good salesperson who wants to help you out and sometimes you get a con artist

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a great deal on my Mustang this past February. No one wanted to buy rwd muscle cars when there was 6 ft of snow on the ground here in Boston, so I got a great price!

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the past Ford, has run a week long Black Friday sale , actually four years straight with extra discounts. Go to the ford website and request a brochure on the car you like a couple of months before you purchase, sometimes they have a private offer on the last page. Last year I requested one for the Taurus for my work vehicle but they did not attach a coupon then four weeks later I received a special discount that worked with the X-plan and the Black Friday Event.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rainy days there is usually less traffic on the dealers floor and usually the prices may be a bit better as the dealer needs to make their number of units sold.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work at a car dealership. Find a store that is part of the Rydell group, they treat ppl right!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always get told the best way is to negotiate online with different dealerships and they literally just compete against each other to get you the best deal

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about that for sure. But if you have a few local dealerships in you area, I would visit them & see what you think of each of them, then pick the 1 you like best. Make sure you check out the Service Dept. too. Dealers will trade cars with each other too, to get your sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im so stuck im Ford all the way should i get a coyote gt and call it a day or a 06 -2010 with a roush supercharger that has 32k miles i just want a fast car..my 95sn iv bolted on everything but a procharger and if i put more $ in it to get one and have it installed il have 20k in a 95..so im looking ahead and want your experienced opinions of what i should do..remember hp tq lol im 38 never had a truely street machine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts