Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few mods, nothing major. 3.73's, UDP, JLT CAI, Tillman Tune, Pro 5.0, Alum driveshaft, CHE LCA's and steeda adj UCA. I tried shifting at like 5500 outta first and about the same for 2nd. Should I be taking it right to 6,000 or even less?? It seems like it pulls better when i shift about 5,500-5,700.
I'm curious cuz I beat a SRT10 truck with my traction control on(accidentally) the other week, and just tonight I got beat by an automatic 2008 stang with only a CAI(and he said he was running reg gas, where I'm tuned for 91 octane). :headscratch:

If his car was fairly cold would that have made a difference?? Cuz I know mine was definitely NOT cold and his was.

I also find there is a sweet spot on the accelerator...it seems to pick up speed better there instead of hammering it down right off the bat, is this normal?? I know I need to practice(because I know I should have taken him easy) and see where is best to shift.

Also do all these 05-09 trannys shift slow or is it just mine. My old 5 liter shifted as fast as you could push the clutch in and back out. This one seems to shift like crap.

Funny how I turned one question into 4. Sorry, just lookin for insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The engine was heat soaked which could actually kill your time. Always run cold, let the motor cool and watch what it will do for you. Maybe a short throw shifter is a needed mod?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I had been cruising for a good hour around town prior to the race. And I do have a pro 5.0 shifter(thinking about trying something different)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
+1 on heatsoak reducing your engine's power output. That may have been the biggest factor in your loss to the other Stang.
Also, shifting at 5500-5700 rpm may be dropping the revs below the engine's peak torque(4500 rpm +/-) for the next gear, which will reduce your car's acceleration rate. Suggest setting your engine's rev limit at 6800 rpm, and shifting at 6300, which should enable you to engage the next gear at or near peak torque.
Finally, if you're racing from a dig, then rev anywhere from 2000-3000 rpm(you'll have to experiment to see what works best), and slip the clutch so that the rear tires burn out for only a few feet. When they grab, slam the gas pedal to the floor, and shift as quickly as you can. If your tranny cannot get into gear quickly, then there may be a problem with it. I've read that 08 & 09 GT's have synchro problems.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that there is a synchro problem. It doesn't even compare to my old 5.0. Is there much that can be done about the syncro problem?? And thanks for the pointers. I'll be trying that out.

I agree on the heat soak too, but my slow shifting definitely didn't help either.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah, before my Bamachips tune, my car seemed quicker shifting at 5500-5600 rpm. Power dropped off noticeably after that. Now, I shift about 6200. A retune could be in order. As far as the 08 synchro problems are concerned, my 08 shifts as smooth as the day it left the dealership. And I can testify to heatsoak hurting these cars badly. I've noticed that 3-5 tenths could be lost over the quarter mile. That's 3-5 car lengths on the street.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
You already answered your question on where to shift at. No the trans don't really shift slower. You might feel some resistance going into gear depending on how warn the synro is and how hard you shift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.