Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Car: 2011 V6 Mustang with 6 speed manual tranny and 3.31 gears.

Complete noob question I know but looking for information on how I can maximize the fuel efficiency of my car because I don't think its doing very well right now. I have only been driving standard for 2 weeks.

Strictly city driving, the display is telling me 16 L/100kms (14.7 MPG) and after a 3 hour continous highway drive, the lowest number I saw was 9 L/100kms (26 MPG). How does that compare to your numbers?

From a stop, I'm having a hard time accelerating quickly, most people take off much faster and I usually don't catch up until I get to the top end of 2nd or shortly after shifting to 3rd. 1st gear the car barely accelerates it seems like.

On that note, I always noticed it seems like there is extra resistance shifting into 2nd from 1st. I clutch, pull down to 2nd and have to pause for a brief second till I feel it overcome that little bit of resistance. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is smooth. Anyone else experience this?

I usually shift every gear at 3000rpm including first.

My other question is when I'm running around in the city, I do 10km/hour over the limit, which is 60km/hour (37mph) in third gear at 2500rpm. Is this fine or should I be shifting to 4th.

I was told the general rule of thumb is shift at 3000rpm, and hold the current gear your in below that.

Thanks for any help you guys can dish :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience with mustangs (an '00, '03, '10, '11 GT) has shown me that 'stangs don't pull as well as other cars in first (my cousin's 350z). But, on an another note I shift at around 2500 and cruise at 2000 or a bit below, I would try that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It just uses a little more gas, it isn't bad for your car. Especially a new car it needs to see a wide variety of RPM's. And when I'm cruising I try and keep it at 2000 RPM's

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tranny will shift smoother after a few months. Don't expect the car to react the same for all gears at the same RPM. I haven't seen a torque curve for the V6, but normally they come alive in the 3000-4000 range. Sounds like you just need to find a place where first gear is happy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't concern yourself with rpm's on this motor; it's meant to rev. Bearing clearances had to be held to closer tolerances (closer as in within a few 10ths .0013 - .0015 as an example) to allow longevity. Oiling is also much improved. I typically shift at 3k around town. When you want power take the rpm up .. opposite when you want mpg.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The owner manual says to not make fuel consumption calculations before 1000 miles. Mine says 13 MPG after 2 weeks of use. I've been driving it hard in the city and smooth on the highway. Like every new car you will need to "feel" it. First week, I stalled twice, at green lights I was the last one to go, but now I'm fine, I love watching the cars disappear from the rear view mirror as soon as the light goes green. One day i'll see a cop not being happy about this i'm sure..

When on the highway I'm right under 2000 rpm when cruising on 6th gear.

When I'm not "playing" I shift from 1st to 2nd at about 2500.

The tranny is already starting to feel smoother. During my first week I often had "hard shifts" (car bouncing) just because it takes a bit of driving before you get acquainted to the new car. You need to listen to the engine too, if it roars then you're sucking gas, but at the same time you're pulling power. If your goal is to reduce the L/100 consumption then shift around 2500. Make sure you "break" the engine during the first 200 miles by engaging low and high RPMs, though, and don't go full throttle until this is done.

Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.