Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2002 mustang gt. I bought the car with 38,000 miles on it.
I am nearing the 50,000 mile mark. I read the article on changing the plugs which was very informative. It did not give mileage estimates when you should change your plugs. Do I need to look at changing them? My gas mileage is consistant. I have not noticed any differences in how the car runs. This is the first car I have owned that does not have a distributor cap or visible spark plug wires. I have to admit that I was a little lost the first time I looked under the hood. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
393 Posts
Plugs

:kooky:
Sooner than you think. Can't hurt and can only get better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
02 GTs come with Platinum plugs that genereally last 70000 to 80000 miles. just checked cause im nearing 70000 on my car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GTStang31 said:
02 GTs come with Platinum plugs that genereally last 70000 to 80000 miles. just checked cause im nearing 70000 on my car.
Which is probably a good thing, from what I've seen and read it can be a real pain in the @$$ to change 'em:laughlitt !!

·
Registered
276 Posts
rickjshann said:
Which is probably a good thing, from what I've seen and read it can be a real pain in the @$$ to change 'em:laughlitt !!
Actually I've found it to be easier as long as you have an extension and a good plug socket.:thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
I changed the plugs in my 2000 GT last weekend. In addition to a good plug wrench I recommend compressed air to clean the hole where the spark plug seats in the head. It took about 30 mins. T

·
Registered
701 Posts
Miles are not always the same miles.

If you drive your stang constantly 50 to 100 miles every day, the plugs probabely last well over 100K miles.
If you only drive your stang for a couple of miles and only a couple of times a week, you will definitely have more deposits building up.
In my 2000 GT they got changed for the first time at 100K miles and they still looked fine. But thats because it is my daily river and I do about 80 Miles every day.

I say change them, it can't hurt!

By the way, only use Motorcrap:rolleyes: spark plugs. They are made for this motor and they are therefore among the best choice.
I had a set of Bosch Platimum +4 and they caused a hole lot of pinging!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have mostly fords my whole life, I am only 24 but my first car was an 88 ranger GT and the last two have been mustangs so I have to agree with engineer on the bosch platinum not working well with fords. I put them in my ranger and my gas mileage and my power suffered I only kept them in it for about 1,000 miles before changing plugs, I mean it ran like crap. Then I decided I would try them again in my 98 Mustang GT that I had and almost the same results, didn't affect my gas mileage as bad, but I could tell a difference in power. But I have to say that motorcraft isn't the only alternative, just stay away from bosch!! I am about to order a set of E3's for mine to test them out, will let you know how they do.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The stock motorcraft plugs are REALLY good and will last you to the 100k mark. You don't HAVE to change them now, but I would check to make sure they aren'd loose. Spark plug blow out is a known problem to our 4.6 L engine. I'm pretty sure they should be torqued to 13 lbs, but don't quote me on that. Check a Haynes Repair manual for torque specs. If you don't have that book, buy it! Best damn book EVER :worship

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.