Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have 5300 miles on 2011 5.0 Mustang. Gauge cluster says 70% oil life left. Should I change every 5000 miles anyway or wait till the gauge says to change it? WHat do you guys do? thanks

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I'm only at 1.5k, but I'm changing at 5k no matter what the monitor says. It really comes down to personal preference if you're changing less than what the monitor says. It came from the factory with semi-syn, so if you're an equal split between city and highway I'd say you're good until 7500. However, if you've been all city I'd change it now. If you're mostly highway I think you can stick to the monitor. Did you notice if you lost any oil during break in? I lost a quart over break in. As such I kind of refreshed a quart when I topped off. Perhaps you did the same?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Around 70% is about the lowest I think I'd want to see it anyway considering what a high performance motor we have. I'd change it right away, you can never hurt yourself by changing early. It's the cheapest way to insure your engine is going to have a long, happy, life.

My dealer recommended 5,000 oil changes to me, and especially for the first one I'm going to have it done between 4,500-5,000 no matter what the monitor says.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'd do the first around 5K and then maybe at 7.5K, see how that monitor does. I think that first one is the most critical, get that junk, the metal from wearing in, out of the system.
Dave

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I tend to agree. About 70% would be the lowest I'd want to go. I plan on 5000mi for the first and see what happens from there.

G

·
0 Posts
I change my oil everytime a new oil change thread pops up:smartass:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I got a free oil-change service coupon from the dealer I bought mine from. It expires at the end of August. So I'll definitely use it up before then. Even though I'm only at about 1600 miles right now.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
1100 miles on my 11. Oil life monitor has me at 83%. I plan on changing every 5K no matter what the stupid oil thing says.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Im at 2100 km. ( about 1200 miles to you American guys) The oil still looks clean. I bought the engine oil additive from the dealer. the engineers recommend adding it to the oil if you change it early. I think I might drive it for this summer and change it before putting it away for the winter in December.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did my first one at 3k,olm showed about 50%.
I now have 7k olm shows 17%???
I used synthetic also,makes no sense.
Remember we got 8 quarts in there,probably good for at least
10k(with synthetic) if you can hold out that long.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a question along the same lines, so I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm waiting on a transfer of a 2011 GT/CS from another dealer. The car is "used" with 915 miles on it. Someone owned it for 2 months from April to June 2011, then traded it in for something clearly not as fun.

So, given that it has been sitting around for awhile (and with a build date of Nov. 2010, so the oil has been sitting even longer) would I be wise to change the oil immediately or should I let it hang out until 5000? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've got a question along the same lines, so I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm waiting on a transfer of a 2011 GT/CS from another dealer. The car is "used" with 915 miles on it. Someone owned it for 2 months from April to June 2011, then traded it in for something clearly not as fun.

So, given that it has been sitting around for awhile (and with a build date of Nov. 2010, so the oil has been sitting even longer) would I be wise to change the oil immediately or should I let it hang out until 5000? Thanks guys.
I would just as a matter of course. You don't know what the car has been put through, especially if it's been test driven a lot and oil changes are relatively cheap. You've got nothing to lose by doing it now, IMO.

I change mine every 5k-6k miles. I did the first one at 5k. I just did the second one today at 11k miles. I examined the oil I took out of it and it seemed to have a fair bit of life left in it(Mobil 1) so I might push it back to 7k-8k miles now. I also completely ignore the oil life monitor as I don't drive the car hard enough to need an oil change before I've been doing them.

·
Banned
8,740 Posts
Changing your oil too early is a huge waste.

Best way to do it is to have your old oil analyzed and then follow their recomendations.

I've found each car and each engine has different oil change needs. I had an 06 C6 Vette that was fine with 10-12 k oil service. I had a 2002 Camaro Z28 that needed it every 8k and I had a Ford Contour SVT that needed to be changed at 4500 miles.

Driving style and type of use also affect oil life.

The oil life monitor in your vehicle is designed with warranty costs in mind. Ford, GM and other makers look at two things, reputation and warranty costs to determine when to set the trigger on the monitor. They don't want your car to last for ever, but they do want you to get a decent life out of it.

The Vette that I changed every 10-12 k had the moniter saying I could go 17,000 miles. Any time I had my oil analyzed and had a life monitor to compare it to, when the monitor was at about 25-30% oil life, that was the right time to change it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.