Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering when I should replace the coolant in my car, Its only got 13,000 km on it. Maybe the coolant that comes in these cars sucks and I could replace it with better stuff. The overfill tank coolant looks a little off colour. Probably wouldn't hurt to change it anyway, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
they say every 30,000 miles(not sure in km.). usually the factory fluids, not counting the oil, are quality fluids. just get a coolant check tool at your local autoparts store and check it every time you change your oil. usually smell and color are dead giveaways when its real bad.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, any suggestions on a good brand. Perhaps something that prevents scaling??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check your owners manual. Ford may require you to use a certain type of coolant, which some are designated by the color. My 2003 requires the yellow-colored coolant (Motorcraft Premium Gold). I say this to help minimize warranty issues. My Dad has a Jeep and I believe he has to use the orange coolant.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warranty really isn't an issue anymore. hahahaha

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Motorcraft Gold long-life coolant is good for 4 years (1 year shy of GM's DEXCOOL)...I plan on having it replaced at 4 years.
I purchased a gallon of it at the dealer and have used it two times (very little) in the last 3 years to keep the level of the coolant in the resevoir tank at the COLD MAX mark. Then again, I only have 17K miles on the car. But it should be good for 4 years (same life as Toyota's and Nissan long life coolant).

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i am just going to flush the system and replace the coolant at 30k miles. I like to go by the manual when it comes to stuff like this. And i always change it a little beforehand anyway. I change oil at 3k miles or 6 months. typically they are at the same time. But i figure hey, if i change it at 3k instead of 5k, it will be better for the car. maybe cost a little more but who cares, i love doing it :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Coolant is good for 100,000 miles. No need to change it any earlier.
Unless you blow the head gasket...........then you might want to change it!:so

Oddly enough, I've never had to worry about certain maintenance issue.

I've usually changed the whole motor or pulled it to freshen it by then!:laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.