Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious when I should put my first wax job on this new car. I'm up to about 500 miles and have had it about 2 weeks... I know the paint needs to fully cure first, right?
Let me know!
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I've been told your safe to wax the new car from the factory by the time it's delivered (usually it's sit 30 days or more before you got it) and the paint is baked on at the factory.

If you have a body panel repainted at a body shop you should wait 6-8 weeks to let it fully cure. The body shop can't bake the paint like the factory does (it would melt the interior) so they use heat lamps to dry it, so this causes a longer wait time to cure.

This is just what I've been told in the past. I'm sure there are people on here that have more experience than I do.

Good luck

I'll be getting mine 06 in about another month.

·
Registered
785 Posts
albireo said:
Just curious when I should put my first wax job on this new car. I'm up to about 500 miles and have had it about 2 weeks... I know the paint needs to fully cure first, right?
Let me know!
Thanks,
Joe
Please consider Zaino before you wax!!! Once you go Zaino,,,, you will never go wax. I've got tons of other stuff I am giving away.. It's that good.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
J&D said:
Please consider Zaino before you wax!!! Once you go Zaino,,,, you will never go wax. I've got tons of other stuff I am giving away.. It's that good.
ZAINO is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
5twenty said:
I think Zaino is over priced. I swear by Mother's. :worship

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THere are SOOO many Zaino products... It's confusing... What ones do I get to do this? I'll wax this weekend! :)
Joe

5twenty said:

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
You don't need the whole kit. Honestly, all you need is Z2. You only need Z5 if you have minor swirls. The ZFX is for if you plan to apply it in cold/wet weather. It's just an additive that you add to the wax that helps the wax cure/dry faster. If you plan to go all out and get it "show room" I'd clay it (gets all impurities out of clear-coat and makes it SMOOTH as glass), Z5 it 2x's (depending on your paint's finish), and z2 it 2x's (depending on your paints' finish).

Yes, other waxes can bring luster to near Zaino quality, but Zaino lasts weeks-months where as other waxes last days-weeks.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I've had both, and trust me, zaino ist he way to go.

Once you go zaino, you'll never go back. ESPECIALLY if you have a darker colored car. I could tell a difference on my Screaming Yellow GT, but when I applied it to a Mystichrome 04 Cobra, my jaw dropped. It looks deeper, wetter and lasts longer than anything you can buy at Autozone or pep boys.

FYI: I'm a clean freak, read my tutorial here

-N

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
J&D,

Is that Zaino a polish,like a real fine cut liquid compound?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Darth said:
J&D,

Is that Zaino a polish,like a real fine cut liquid compound?
It isn't a polish, more like a polymer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of EXCELLENT info here, as always! I sure appreciate all the input, it's going to really help me keep my baby nice.
Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm ready to order the Z2, but the web site says "

Please note that if this is your first time using the Zaino system, ZFX or minimally Z-1 is mandatory for use with Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5."

Do I need to get the Z-1 as they say? Also, they are clear across the country from me - is there somewhere closer? Any local distributors?
Thanks again!!

Joe

ninoavila said:
You don't need the whole kit. Honestly, all you need is Z2. You only need Z5 if you have minor swirls. The ZFX is for if you plan to apply it in cold/wet weather. It's just an additive that you add to the wax that helps the wax cure/dry faster. If you plan to go all out and get it "show room" I'd clay it (gets all impurities out of clear-coat and makes it SMOOTH as glass), Z5 it 2x's (depending on your paint's finish), and z2 it 2x's (depending on your paints' finish).

Yes, other waxes can bring luster to near Zaino quality, but Zaino lasts weeks-months where as other waxes last days-weeks.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I've had both, and trust me, zaino ist he way to go.
Snip -
-N

·
Registered
785 Posts
I did not use the zfx nor the z1. A little embarassing situation. I bought the package in April but did not use it until January this year. The accelerant did not last that long. Still, as nino stated, all you need is the Z2 and the car wash.

I strongly recommend claybaring the car. This is the key to a smooth as silk finish. Most auto paint stores carry the supplies and may be cheaper than zaino's.

Joe

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The ZFX is recommended first because it is a hardner, after the 1st coat it is not needed. I have use that and the Z2 only, people have reported that the other stuff does not make much difference.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
J&D said:
I did not use the zfx nor the z1. A little embarassing situation. I bought the package in April but did not use it until January this year. The accelerant did not last that long. Still, as nino stated, all you need is the Z2 and the car wash.

I strongly recommend claybaring the car. This is the key to a smooth as silk finish. Most auto paint stores carry the supplies and may be cheaper than zaino's.

Joe
My ZFX didnt last long, got it in august, got the car in october, used it once, and december it had clumps in it. Sent an email, got a response to call such n such, and a replacement bottle was sent out free.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks Ninoavilla, that is alot of good info.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was a lot of hard work! Thanks so much Ninoavila!
Now when I get my wax I know what to do... I'd never heard of claybaring - I'm chicken I'll do something dumb to mess up the paint... Is it really something I should do before I wax? Being that I'm new to this whole thing I don't want to do something to mess up my new car...
Joe

ninoavila said:

Once you go zaino, you'll never go back. ESPECIALLY if you have a darker colored car. I could tell a difference on my Screaming Yellow GT, but when I applied it to a Mystichrome 04 Cobra, my jaw dropped. It looks deeper, wetter and lasts longer than anything you can buy at Autozone or pep boys.

FYI: I'm a clean freak, read my tutorial here

-N

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
New car, no wax, best time to claybar. Dont worry, its easy, you wont screw up the paint. Follow the simple directions and youll be fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I'll do it! Is Meguiar’s Quik clay ok or do I need to use Meguiar’s Professional Detailing Clay, or more importantly need the Z-18 ClayBar since I'll be using Z2?

Joe

Stoenr said:
New car, no wax, best time to claybar.Dont worry, its easy, you wont screw up the paint. Follow the simple directions and youll be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.