I thought maybe we can make a list of possible Racing (at the pump
only. eg. 93+octanes) Gas Stations here in the USA and sticky it for
people's reference.

I found a forum here when I happened to pass bye a VP Racing Fuel
station somewhere here in the Bay Area selling 93 Octane for $4.85
9/10... Did a search and here's the link with locations;

Race Gas in NORCAL? [Archive] - Supraforums.com

I read in the forum that there are 100 and 114 Octane. can my 02 v6
handle these octanes and if so, I'll buy a tuner to do the obvious.
Also, what can I expect to gain/lose with going that route? Obviously
fewer mpg... Where are some other locations near 94605 and 94538,
the list on that forum is old, things change over 3+- years...

What's funny is that the VP official site doesn't even list all they're
stations here...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
almost 30 views and no answers?

R

·
0 Posts
You car will see no gains from anything over 93. You simply do not have the compression ratio to make use of the higher octane. Spark advance only goes so far.
As for the 93 octane, stick with 91. You won't see enough gain to justify the cost increase. 93 octane is just premium gas in other parts of the country. No need to be paying race gas prices for it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, so not even a tuner for say 93 will do anything, but my v6 would be able to handle it without blowing up? Ok that's just the answer i was looking for on that... now question is, IF I were to get the higher octane would that help clean out sludge and residue +- sludge treatments?

R

·
0 Posts
93 will give you maybe 2-3hp more over 91. Not worth the $1.50 price jump. In most of the country 93 is as common as 91. You can use it just fine with a tune for 93. To be paying $4.85 a gallon for what others get for $3.00 a gallon out of state at every station is insane though.

Higher octane will not help clean out your engine. It can actually cause damage and power loss to you car as it burns slower and will dump a ton of unburned fuel into you cats.

If you want to clean out your car, go with Seafoam. Putting some of that into your gas tank really helps clear out the system. If you follow the instruction you put 1/3 of a can in your tank, 1/3 in your crank case, and 1/3 into your intake through a vacuum line. That will really clean out any carbon deposits in your engine. There is thread stickied in the Talk section about it.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-talk/98589-seafoaming-my-mustang.html

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Have your car tuned to run on E85, it's 104 octane...oh, you only have a v6! Get a supercharger and have some real fun...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thnx redlyr, I think I will next time, I actually took my car in a few days after I bought it to get the engine fixed for something, I cant remember what, but the dealer said there was a massive amount of carbon buildup and he cleaned it out for 1/3 the cost it usually costs cause the car was just bought... Oh it was for a ticking sound....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not going way of SCs especially cause they are belt driven and ergo reduces mpg cause the engine works harder according to this dyno on this show i watched

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.