Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anynody know where I can find heat extractors on the hood like the Saleen and Shelby Super Snake without buying a new hood? Just seems logical to have them on a supercharged engine to keep it cool during the hot summer. I don't like how the cowl hood looks. Just something plain and subtle.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
There was a thread like this a long time ago... A guy talked about doing it but ended up chickening out!

I hope you do it... It could be really cool!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to Saleen's website and I can't even find a way to buy the vents or even just the hood. Looks like you have to buy the whole body kit or nothing.

One day I had some fun and drove a bit aggressively, then I left it in the garage with the hood up. I went somewhere with the family in my wife's SUV. When we got back a couple of hours later, the Saleen supercharger was still very hot. That's when I thought of probably getting heat extractors and maybe ceramic coated headers when I upgrade to long tube ones.

I don't usually chicken out on mods that are more functional than aesthetic. Maybe some aftermarket vendor is watching out there.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Lol. I doubt you'd be able to find a Mustang company that would make vents specific for us. :p

You're looking more at a universal DIY project here.

I agree! You need to get that heat out of there!

RunCool Real Heat-Escape Hood and Side Louvers

They include the drill bit and mounting hardware with each set.
Go for it!!! :D

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
lol I think you missed this part:
I believe that refers to the hood itself. Moss also sells just the heat extractor louvers that are made for the Shelby hood, but I see no reason why you couldn't make it fit your stock hood if your going to have to do a custom job anyway.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but man, these things look big and gnarly. We don't have an area for a side mounted one also. I think I might take back what I said about cowl hoods. I'll just go for the lowest cowl available. But then again, that means buying a completely new hood. If only Saleen can see this thread.

Oh well, the search is on. One thing is for sure, I WILL find a way to get some heat out from under that hood.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
May I suggest the 2" TruFiber Cowl Induction hood?

It looks fricken epic... I saw it in real life! Not to big, its rounded out, and it flows very well with the S197s body lines! :bigthumbsup

Needless to say, that's what I want! :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May I suggest the 2" TruFiber Cowl Induction hood?

It looks fricken epic... I saw it in real life! Not to big, its rounded out, and it flows very well with the S197s body lines! :bigthumbsup

Needless to say, that's what I want! :D
I like that! So far that's a winner on my book. Price is great also. I wonder if it comes in carbon fiber or aluminum?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I like that! So far that's a winner on my book. Price is great also. I wonder if it comes in carbon fiber or aluminum?
Yeah! And I'm not sure it'll come in cf or aluminum... Considering the company is called "Trufiber" :shigrin !

Steeda and Kaenen make similar hoods... I think they are fiberglass as well. There isn't really anything wrong with fiberglass though.

Just out of curiosity, I photoshopped the "medium" sized vents from the RunCool company...

It actually doesn't look too bad... :scratchchin
RunCool Heat Extractors.JPG
RunCool Heat Extractors cartoony.jpg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah! And I'm not sure it'll come in cf or aluminum... Considering the company is called "Trufiber" :shigrin !
Lol! I thought about that just after I posted by question... duh?!!

I found the Steeda site and their cowl hood looks almost like the 2010 hood. I really liked that. But why does it have to require hood pins? There's always something else that ruins it. Plus I also read that the hood pins they provide are trash. The chrome polish peels off and starts rusting after 6 months. That really ruins it then. The only solution off my head is to have the pins re-chromed or have it power coated black or silver.

Some of Steeda's cars have cowl hood without pins on them. So why do they require us to have them?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The main reason for hood pins is that a lot of fiberglass hoods "shake" at high speeds from wind resistance.

I'd put hood pins on any aftermarket hood I get... Mainly because the last thing I would want to happen is the hood become unlatched then fly up into the windshield and kill me! :)

Just get different hood pins from another vendor. Most people have had great luck with other brands. I'd peronally go non-chrome... I'm more of the "black" accent guy. :bigthumbsup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.