Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I jack the car up on the axles? I am concerned about doing that and am not even sure I can put the jackstands under the axles. The manual, naturally, says nothing about using a floor jack. Ordinarily I would use the diff to jack but the manual also has big red letters telling me that too is a no no on the Mustang.

Any help would be appreciated. It is too dang cold and wet to get it out of the garage and get under it anyhow but.... And yes, the garage is too narrow to work in there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You could lift a Mustang w/ a 9" rear from under the diff., but the 8.8 won't take the flexing. You can jack under the shock mount on our cars.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi,

Jack only at the subframe points with doubled metal subframe or at the subframe bolt-in locations. DO NOT jack on the 8.8" pumpkin or front K-member or you will tweak or crush the subframe.

You could also get a pair of Steeda's steel hardcre jacking points and weld them on in the middle of the car. http://www.steeda.com/store/images/accessories/555-5050-450.jpg

http://www.steeda.com/store/images/accessories/555-5050Avoid-this.jpg

HTH

JetBlack said:
Can I jack the car up on the axles? I am concerned about doing that and am not even sure I can put the jackstands under the axles. The manual, naturally, says nothing about using a floor jack. Ordinarily I would use the diff to jack but the manual also has big red letters telling me that too is a no no on the Mustang.

Any help would be appreciated. It is too dang cold and wet to get it out of the garage and get under it anyhow but.... And yes, the garage is too narrow to work in there.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boss377 said:
You could lift a Mustang w/ a 9" rear from under the diff., but the 8.8 won't take the flexing. You can jack under the shock mount on our cars.
The shock mount locations look soooo puny. Maybe I am just used to jacking the truck which has nothing but big, honkin' chunks o' steel everywhere.

Can I lower the car onto the jackstands with them under the axles or what? I am going to have to be under there for a while, reefing on nuts/bolts and have no wish for that to be the last thing I do. The last thing to go through your mind would be....

the exhaust?

I just don't see anything that even appears sturdy enough to support the weight without bad things happening.

I don't want to have to make a will before I work on the car. Should I leave the car to my brother? Nah, he's a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
This is NOT advice, it's just what I do. In the front, I use a 6" 2x4 and place it between the jackstand and the forward end of the frame rail. In the back I jack up on the back of the frame rail and rest the axle on jackstands. I'm a bit paranoid crawling around under my car so I use 4 jackstands in front and 4 in back. We have earthquakes here!

I'll being doing that again this weekend as I install a driveshaft safety loop and some new lower contro arms.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Just looking in the official Ford 2005 Mustang workshop manual. Several places it says do not lift by the differential housing but it's ok to set the axle on jackstands.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know that the Manual tells you not to jack it up by the pumpkin but I have always done so for the last 20 years and will continue to do so.

1)It is only for the time it takes to set the axle on jackstands.
2)I'm careful not to catch the diff cover and cause a leak.
3)I use a jack with a 3" jack pad to evenly distribute the weight.

Here is a link to an ealier thread on jacking the car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
jacking this car is a pain...too low to get much under, unitized so its hard to find a heavy spot...I put stands under mine at rear axle(out wide as possible) and strongest point on frontend appeared to be at the front control arm mount in the kmember...theres a step there that looks made for jackstands. I did pick mine up by the pumpkin, and lowered the front by the kmember(neither recommended)...I'm wanting to make a cradle to drop into my floorjack to lift rear by axle tubes, wide enough to still get stands beside, yet reduce strain on cast center section, and another (maybe one that flips over?) that engages notches in k member center to locate, but lifts from farther out to sides...we'll see, but this car is really kinda difficult to lift as-is. Man a lift for the garage would sure be nice :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I too use the 2"X4" method on the strong parts of the undercarrage. It takes longer if you want to lift the whole car but once the jackstands are in place, I feel safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts