Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, please help me here. Where do the hood pins mount for a 67 Mustang? Like under the hood, where do the pins mount? STOCK location, like where did they put them on the Shelby's? Please help me because I'm confused at this point(to tell you the whole story would be a waste of time).

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Now are you 100% sure that's the way it was on 67? I have seen a 65 GT350 that was like that, but I saw a regular 67 Coupe the other day and it's pins are clearly bolted to the core support. Is it possible that since the dimensions changed between 66 and 67, that the location of the pins changed?

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Acooljt said:
Now are you 100% sure that's the way it was on 67? I have seen a 65 GT350 that was like that, but I saw a regular 67 Coupe the other day and it's pins are clearly bolted to the core support. Is it possible that since the dimensions changed between 66 and 67, that the location of the pins changed?
There is no such thing (other than SCCA Trans-Am cars) as a 1967 Shelby Coupe

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
No, it wasn't a Shelby Coupe, just a regular Coupe with pins. I'm pretty sure it's all original too by the looks of the car.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Acooljt said:
No, it wasn't a Shelby Coupe, just a regular Coupe with pins. I'm pretty sure it's all original too by the looks of the car.
wrong again, the FIRST Ford produced Mustangs to have hood pins were the 1968 California Special and the Rocky Mountain Specials, and were specialy designed mounting brackets also. These were Shelby style twist pins. FRPP still produces exact replicas of the 1969 MACH I hood pins, and these are the basic NASCAR style hood pins. These were mounted directly into the core support. The first link is one of a Cal Special, notice the small brackets above the outer edge of the fog lamps http://www.californiaspecial.com/albums/album15/DSC004111.jpg

The '69 MACH's pins are just outside of the horns...
http://www.mach1registry.com/history/photos/p63616_image_large.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
True, but wouldn't that be like too far forward on the hood. I mean, look at a 67 and where the pins would come through on the hood, it'd almost be on the edge.

The brackets you mention are not Shelby-exclusive, mine is as standard as it gets and it has those, and had rubber hood bumpers in them.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Acooljt said:
True, but wouldn't that be like too far forward on the hood. I mean, look at a 67 and where the pins would come through on the hood, it'd almost be on the edge.

The brackets you mention are not Shelby-exclusive, mine is as standard as it gets and it has those, and had rubber hood bumpers in them.
hey, word your questions better and quit acting like a know it all, and perhaps other people will talk to you, as for the Shelby hood pin brackets, they stick out quite a bit, and since Shelbys did not have a steel hood, they did not need rubber bumpers. Kinda funny, I show you a SHELBY ONLY part number and you still can not beleive the truth

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not trying to act like a know it all, I'm confused. I've seen a 1965 GT350 and the pins were in the brackets you speak of. But I saw a 1967 Coupe with steel hood and it's pins were in the core support(though I'm not even sure if it's original though one would guess it is). So I don't know which to trust. So it's like, where do I put mine? The situation is, my car is having the bodywork done on it, and we need to know where to set the pins in order to drill the holes in the fiberglass hood. So I need to figure this out so my car can get finished.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Veronica said:
Hello.:)Here is how they were on the 67 Shelbys. 67 Mustangs didn't have hood pins.Hope that helps.
isn't that what I told him when I told him that the first Ford Mustang to have pins was made in 1968? I hope he will listen finally

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I never doubted you. There's just been some different things that I've seen first-hand that contradict certain things you said. Not that I thought that you were wrong, but I was trying to dig deeper to see what was going on. For instance, the 65 GT350 that I saw with hood pins, the guy said he sent to somewhere in Wisconsin to be fully restored, and the pins were in the little brackets that would normally hold rubber bumpers, but not the bracket you show there because that bracket accomodates the bumper and pin, whereas on this 65, the pin took the place of the bumper. This bracket was the same as a stock front rubber bumper bracket on my 67.

But anyway, I guess what this all boils down to, is, where should I drill the holes for the pins in my 67 Coupe?

Also, something that stumps me, is that bracket sticks out so far that it would almost put the holes for the pins damn near on the edge of the hood. But when you see a pic of the hood down and stuff, it looks perfectly normal. But I know if I bought those Shelby brackets and put them on my Coupe, those holes would DEFINITELY be real close to the front edge of the hood. Because as it stands now, the holes I've drilled in the core support already place it pretty close to the front of the hood as is, not to mention adding another 5 or 6 inches(however long that bracket is).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have hood locks on my 68, I dont know if theyre in the stock position, but I can make measurements for you if you want. Im having issues uploading pics, but here is a link to some pics to see what they look like.

http://www.rankmyride.com/?func=image&file=data//5/b/14773//.large/stang_005.jpg

You can see where the lock meets on the left side near the battery here (its gold) http://www.rankmyride.com/?func=image&file=data//5/b/14773//.large/weight_010.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/?func=image&file=data//5/b/14773//.large/20050102_018.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm from Serbia and I like Ford Mustangs. Can you tell me what was original Boss 429 hood like? Was it flat or with opening for air? I had an argue with an 'expert'.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.