Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tring to get a radio for my car and I called a ford dealer just now and gave him my vin and he can't even tell me what the factory radio was. He said it said high performance with amp & sub. So if it had a sub wouldn't that be a shaker 1000.? See I am so lost! I bought it wrecked and the people took out the radio and I didn't see a sub in the back but they could have taken that out too. ??? I need to know what wire harness to buy. HELP someone.....odessa

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
The shaker 500 and 1000 both come with subs, the standard radio does not. (no external amp) Both of the shakers have subs in the bottom of the doors with the amps located there. The 1000 also has them in the back trunk, The 1000 also has an amp in the back sub enclosure.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The amps arent in the doors, they are on the drivers side under the dash. You can see them if you look down there. I can't seem to find the photo of them, but it's out there on the internet somewhere. The 10" (or 8", can't remember) round speakers that are on the door are considered subs. You should be able to see them from outside the door without taking it apart.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From my understanding....(repeating what frisch already said)

Shaker 1000 has 2 subs in back(you could easily see them in the trunk) and two in doors...

Shaker 500 has 2 subs in doors

Regular radio has no subs

If I am wrong someone correct me.

Anyway, once you figure out what it was, go to Crutchfield.com, make an account and then put in your vehicles info, then add a radio to your cart, a screen will come up saying you need _________ to add an aftermarket radio in your vehicle, that is what you need.

I have an 06 v6 coupe with shaker 500...this is what they said I needed

PAC Ford Radio Replacement Interface Allows aftermarket radio installation in select 2005-up Ford-built vehicles (model C2R-FRD1) at Crutchfield.com

But I am not sure if that is the same part you would need for the shaker 1000 or stock radio...I am almost positive it is but I don't want to say yes.

·
Registered
666 Posts
FYI you don't absolutely need that adapter, its more for if you want to continue to use the factory amp and a few of the fancier radio features such as speed volume and speaker selection (i.e. drivers seat, rear seats, all seats) To me, it's not worth the $90 that they charge for the adapter. I'd rather just install a new head unit and bypass the factory amps since an aftermarket head unit will probably have plenty of RMS power on it's own. It's up to you though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The amps are only for the Shaker 500 subwoofers and/or the Shaker 1000 subwoofer. The Shaker 500 head unit supplies power to the 6x8s in the doors and rear deck. The ones in my 2006 were rated to handle a whopping 25 watts each, and when I purchased my car used, the mids were blown in the front doors!

·
Registered
360 Posts
2 amps above hood releace handle[shaker 500]
2 amps above hood releace handle and 4 :happyhapp amps behind the duel ten incher in the trunk[shacker 1000]the trunk subs and amps come out together.some guys have done some 500 to 1000 coversions and there post will have alot of info onthe system and harness :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
FYI you don't absolutely need that adapter, its more for if you want to continue to use the factory amp and a few of the fancier radio features such as speed volume and speaker selection (i.e. drivers seat, rear seats, all seats) To me, it's not worth the $90 that they charge for the adapter. I'd rather just install a new head unit and bypass the factory amps since an aftermarket head unit will probably have plenty of RMS power on it's own. It's up to you though.
I have a 2007 with the shaker 500 system. I am looking into a new head unit. How would i go about bypassing the factory amps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 92' lx convertible with a factory amp in the dash. i bought an after market car dvd player and i hooked it up and the unit turned on but no sound came from the speakers. i heard that you have to bypass the factory amp and i need to know how.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Now I need to go figure out which radio I have..lol Got me very curious!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think I got the worst one..lol Nothing under the dash, sooo... :shigrin Mine is alright the way it is.. Would be nice to have those subs, but I don't have the money for that. I just need a way to hook my ipod directly into my car..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts