Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
... thank you again. You really got fantastic connections inside Ford.
My car was exactly delivered the day you promised. Great job.

For all: My car was ordered early January and nobody could tell me where it was. Jonny is a great guy, he got it.
Hopefully all others get this Ramp51 problem solved soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is getting nuts. Why is Ford doing this? I know I said this in another thread but its appropriate here. If it’s a production problem, then tell us about it……you’ll be rewarded by showing some character, instead of being like Toyota and hiding it. If you’re holding them to change interest rates, then it’s a sinister policy and that will piss off customers. If you don’t tell us, it’s making your customers second guess the car and its quality, and we as enthusiasts are worried about it. That WILL turn potential customers away. My dad was a GM dealer, in the legion of leaders for over 20 years, and was a Ford Lincoln Mercury GM for 15 years as well. He and I both agree, this is doing NOTHING for your reputation……….:headscratch::cursing::banghead:

I've tried to get in touch with Auto Alliance International, who hasn't cleared the cars to be released yet, and the plant is closed today. Yeah I understand about being closed on MONDAY but today? oye...
4 day work week at AAI. Three next week because of the holiday.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
JonnyB, please put me on your nightly update list. VIN 1ZVBP8CFXB5124847 Thanks. This is outstanding! Called Ford today, they were no help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
@CorvetteDreamin what are they thinking though about not telling us anything? thats my deal. Anyone in customer service knows that bad news is better than no news. :fuming::head_shot:
Here's my theory. . . there isn't enough public "outrage" (like the BP fiasco in the gulf) and it's simply a manufacturing problem not unlike they've experienced before. So there are middle managers at the factory simply reporting "several minor quality holds" back to corporate executives. Nothing pervasive or recall worthy per se. Just routine stuff that happens with new model designs. No one wants to be the bearer of bad news and the executives aren't looking at "cars delivered" as a statistic but rather "cars produced". So time passes and the line continues to produce cars and the numbers back to corporate continue to look good.

At some point, someone up top will notice there are THOUSANDS of Mustangs produced but not shipped. And they'll run out of space, creating a NEW issue which can be blamed on the shipper not having capacity. Manufacturing delays can be blamed on suppliers. Remember, they don't actually BUILD anything -- they ASSEMBLE it. There are hundreds of parts from many suppliers. So the "holds" have been reported as follows:

1. Volcanic eruption stopping parts (PCM) from supplier in Europe (plausible)
2. A-pillar trim from supplier (plausible but not very excusable)
3. Fuel delivery "chip" (not likely)
4. Commodity holds (tires, GT500 engines, 19" polished wheels, etc.) (plausible)
5. Engine "tick" caused by manual transmission (not very plausible)
6. Lack of availability of 18" Pirellis. (not very plausible)
7. Other random conspiracy theories (dubious plausibility)

Add to this that one owner who has his car reports that the Mustang chief engineer (Dave Pericak) declared "there are no holds on the Mustang" even after several sources confirmed and the lack of delivery supported it.

There is definitely a disconnect, whether overt or through ineptitude, incompetence, or a shear lack of information. Ford CS is most likely being kept out of the loop in order to prevent "mass hysteria" and the press getting hold of the real issues while Ford and AAI quietly work on the fixes. They went from being very helpful and forthcoming with information to having that information either taken away or told not to share it and offer the party line, "Your dealer is the best person to contact regarding that information." And when you call the dealer their response is usually, "Ford isn't telling us anything." Escalate to a "regional rep" and they tend to make things up or state the obvious: "There's a hold but we don't know why." (That can be inferred from the lack of cars being shipped, thanks.)

So in the end, Ford and AAI are doing THEIR thing and the customers and dealers are left with "Deal with it." And no, this is not the way to treat people spending $25-$50k on an automobile. But consider for a moment if there ARE quality issues or what I'll term "interface" issues with a supplier. Supplier A builds a part to Ford's specs and Ford builds a part to the interfacing specs and somewhere along the way someone forgets to update the supplier with some changes. The supplier produces hundreds or thousands of incompatible components. Ford then has to determine what, if any, impact that will have. What legal ramifications will they experience (contract issues, customer issues, government issues, etc.) Just go back to Toyota and CTS with the gas pedal fiasco if you need an example.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe. I'm trying to look at this from all angles but still just end up frustrated that I ordered a car and it's been sitting for nearly a month after production and no one can tell me why or when I'll get it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
all updates have been sent out

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's my theory. . . there isn't enough public "outrage" (like the BP fiasco in the gulf) and it's simply a manufacturing problem not unlike they've experienced before. So there are middle managers at the factory simply reporting "several minor quality holds" back to corporate executives. Nothing pervasive or recall worthy per se. Just routine stuff that happens with new model designs. No one wants to be the bearer of bad news and the executives aren't looking at "cars delivered" as a statistic but rather "cars produced". So time passes and the line continues to produce cars and the numbers back to corporate continue to look good.

At some point, someone up top will notice there are THOUSANDS of Mustangs produced but not shipped. And they'll run out of space, creating a NEW issue which can be blamed on the shipper not having capacity. Manufacturing delays can be blamed on suppliers. Remember, they don't actually BUILD anything -- they ASSEMBLE it. There are hundreds of parts from many suppliers. So the "holds" have been reported as follows:

1. Volcanic eruption stopping parts (PCM) from supplier in Europe (plausible)
2. A-pillar trim from supplier (plausible but not very excusable)
3. Fuel delivery "chip" (not likely)
4. Commodity holds (tires, GT500 engines, 19" polished wheels, etc.) (plausible)
5. Engine "tick" caused by manual transmission (not very plausible)
6. Lack of availability of 18" Pirellis. (not very plausible)
7. Other random conspiracy theories (dubious plausibility)

Add to this that one owner who has his car reports that the Mustang chief engineer (Dave Pericak) declared "there are no holds on the Mustang" even after several sources confirmed and the lack of delivery supported it.

There is definitely a disconnect, whether overt or through ineptitude, incompetence, or a shear lack of information. Ford CS is most likely being kept out of the loop in order to prevent "mass hysteria" and the press getting hold of the real issues while Ford and AAI quietly work on the fixes. They went from being very helpful and forthcoming with information to having that information either taken away or told not to share it and offer the party line, "Your dealer is the best person to contact regarding that information." And when you call the dealer their response is usually, "Ford isn't telling us anything." Escalate to a "regional rep" and they tend to make things up or state the obvious: "There's a hold but we don't know why." (That can be inferred from the lack of cars being shipped, thanks.)

So in the end, Ford and AAI are doing THEIR thing and the customers and dealers are left with "Deal with it." And no, this is not the way to treat people spending $25-$50k on an automobile. But consider for a moment if there ARE quality issues or what I'll term "interface" issues with a supplier. Supplier A builds a part to Ford's specs and Ford builds a part to the interfacing specs and somewhere along the way someone forgets to update the supplier with some changes. The supplier produces hundreds or thousands of incompatible components. Ford then has to determine what, if any, impact that will have. What legal ramifications will they experience (contract issues, customer issues, government issues, etc.) Just go back to Toyota and CTS with the gas pedal fiasco if you need an example.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe. I'm trying to look at this from all angles but still just end up frustrated that I ordered a car and it's been sitting for nearly a month after production and no one can tell me why or when I'll get it.
very nicely put i agree with you 100% im in the same situation that you are the fun has all but gone with this deal

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's my theory. . ..
Production started April 15th. That's about a month 1/2 ago. Dealers usually tell customers it takes 8 to 12 weeks to get a car from order, so even if someone ordered before April 15th, I am guessing that it is "acceptable", from Ford's point of view, to have to wait for the car up to 3 months from that date.

What is new, is that customers get much more information than before. People like JohnnyB give us information that we shouldn't have, but this information is just a status, it doesn't tell us why those cars are on hold. In order to satisfy our curiosity and vent our frustration, we gather "knowledge" from "sources" that have not been verified, and this upsets everyone even more.

Yes, we're paying a lot for those cars, yes, UPS can track a toothbrush travelling from Ohio to Nevada and give a daily status, yes every one would like to know what is Ramp 51, yes, we are comparing VINs and wondering why VIN 120 was delivered before VIN 106, yes, everyone who have been ordering before yesterday is anxious, jealous of the other dude who already got his car, etc etc.

Ford doesn't HAVE to tell us what's up with those cars. They're still on time. We see many getting shipped, things are moving.

Now that was my devil's advocate diatribe.

As a person, I wondered why my window sticker showed up one day later than the expected date. I am anxious to know if my car will be built on schedule. I will email JohnnyB on that date and ask for a status. If it is not built, I will yell at my computer, I will read all the possible Mustang forums and try to figure out why on earth my baby is one day late, two days late, a week late, I will blame Volcanos, electronic chips, Germans, aliens, the government, and demand that Ford gives me a valid reason for her not to be born yet. Why? Because I'm a person, because I'm so excited about this new car, because I was hoping that in 2010 Fomoco would give me much more status information than they used to. But the reality is that if my car is delivered before July 15th, then Ford actually made it within 12 weeks since the beginning of production, and me being impatient, angry, anxious, sad, etc..) was just me being human.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
JonnyB,

I'm supposed to sign papers on Monday but haven't heard that my car has made it to the dealer yet. Could you give me one more update when you get a chance? My VIN is 1zvbp8am4b5119502.

I really appreciate it GREATLY! It's been 35 years since my last Mustang and I'm getting really anxious. Thanks for all you've been doing for us.

-jr

·
Registered
5 Posts
All, there is hope! Recieved my car yesterday. Power, response, quickness, oh, and the sound of the 5.0. Everything I hoped for and more. Now if I could just get the Northwest rain to cooperate! BTW, it was delivered within a week of the original estimated delivery date. Ordered the end of February.

2011 GT, Gray Metallic Convertible Premium, 18 inchPolished Aluminum wheels, Security, Comfort, 1000 Shaker, Brick Red Leather (an awesome combination of colors)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Johnny, I sent a PM to you yesterday but I'll post it here also. I ordered in January and it was built 4/08. Im on my second ETA of 6/09. Can you do your magic and check for me.
Thanks
1ZVBP8CF3B5108442

·
Registered
146 Posts
My vin

Johnny, I'm new to posting in the forums, but have been lurking for a while. My vehicle was supposed to start production on May 17th. I was wondering if it was on schedule. I'm redeploying in July and really hope that it is there waiting for me when I get back. The wait is killing me, but at least I have something to look forward to. VIN is 1ZVBP8CF3B5121336. Thanks in advance. :bigthumbsup

Mustang GT Premium, Kona blue, coupe package #5, black over the top stripe, Brembo break package, 6 spd manual, 3:73 gears, Nav system, comfort package

·
Registered
10 Posts
(In Transit Arrived at Intermediate Point (Csx Transportation ) Cumberlan, MD May-28-2010, 02:48 ET Jun-11-2010)
Just got this update the other day from Johnny Does this mean it is on train on its way to NY??? :laughlitt
I ordered on 4/18 Build Date was on 5/17...

201 - 220 of 387 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.