Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Mustang GT, and I want some more HP, where can I find some cheap PI heads? I'm a broke student, so I can't spend the big bucks for aftermarket heads, or assembled PI swap kits. I suggested to my dad (its our project car) to go to a junkyard and take a look, but he replied "yeah, but then you have junkyard heads" so what is a cost effective solution? If there is one...

R

·
0 Posts
Craigslist or eBay. You can find good deals from time to time on those.
Watch them like a hawk. You might have to look for a while though.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Shop on craigslist I would say is the cheapest ebayers seem quite proud of their PI parts. I see PI heads and cams around here for 150-300 usually and Im not sure about a used intake but a new one is only 150-175.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shop on craigslist I would say is the cheapest ebayers seem quite proud of their PI parts. I see PI heads and cams around here for 150-300 usually and Im not sure about a used intake but a new one is only 150-175.
I got mine on craigslist complete heads cams valve covers and intake for $300

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
If you were here in NC, I have a set of PI heads in my shop that I would sell for $100.

I won't ship them though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have family in Greenville, but i wont bother with the hassle. I am reputable through ebay if you would be willing to do it that way. Either way... How complicated is an actual PI swap? My dad has taken apart an engine to replace head gaskets on other fords, and hes been working on cars since a kid, and he would be helping me the whole time. This is MY first expedition into engine work. (other than bolt ons) I read the official PI swap thread and it has scared me away from doing the swap in a way. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Why would you be scared to get the gains you would from the PI swap.... I wish I had a way to boost my power that way

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have family in Greenville, but i wont bother with the hassle. I am reputable through ebay if you would be willing to do it that way. Either way... How complicated is an actual PI swap? My dad has taken apart an engine to replace head gaskets on other fords, and hes been working on cars since a kid, and he would be helping me the whole time. This is MY first expedition into engine work. (other than bolt ons) I read the official PI swap thread and it has scared me away from doing the swap in a way. What is your opinion?
Pretty simple for the most part grab an engine rebuild book if you need and take your time also doing it out of the car on an engine stand makes everything much easier

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did the swap on my 1996 mustang Gt and it was the greatest upgrade I did. Do not fear the HP, it is worth it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not scared of the horsepower. Trust me. Haha. But I am however scared to mess something up with my engine. I can't afford a rebuild if I do. Another quick question. What other ford cars have a PI swap? My dad has a 2001 grand Marquis that we soon will be no longer driving. Can we use the heads off that?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
No, those are NPI heads, just like yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts