Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've read several threads about the clutch/transmission problems on the manual, I've been cautious about signing papers on this model of car.

So I thought about renting a manual 5.0 GT, but I can't really find anything.

I did find this, but it's an auto.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...on=globNav_3_5_1&selectedRegion=United States

Maybe I could try individual dealerships, I would even consider renting a 2012 model even if it was a used car.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A very low percentage of drivers know how to drive a stick, so rental companies don't want to tie up a desirable car by having it so that only a few people could actually drive it. Not to mention, people will beat on a manual tranny in weird ways, and potentially grind gears, so I think they'd have to be crazy to have any manual cars at a rental place.

I'm not sure how you could get a shot at the tranny except do a test drive at a dealership. I doubt you're going to have any significant issue with the transmissions at this point. I bought a January 2012 build and havent had any issues. My previous November 2010 build (2011 model) did have some occasional slight grinding between 1st and 2nd, and the TSB to change the fluid helped that. My 2012 came butter smooth from the factory. In fact it was so smooth I wasn't sure if I was going to install my MGW shifter and risk it being mis-aligned and introducing the 1->2 notchiness.

If for some weird reason you have issues with the car you buy, you will either:

1. Have them so bad that Ford does warranty work to fix it
or
2. Be able to 99% resolve it with a fluid swap and maybe an aftermarket shifter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I ask why you want to rent a manual 5.0 Mustang? I can almost gaurantee you that it's going to be impossible. But more importantly, renting a manual Mustang isn't going to provide any more info than test driving one before you buy it.

Just get the manual car you want, and spend the money you saved by NOT renting one, and get Red Line MTL into the tranny, and perhaps a shifting bracket installed.

Or, just don't abuse the transmission, be gentle with it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Like the others said, it will be impossible to find a manual-equipped Mustang at a rental place. However, what Seventh mentioned about finding a used one at a dealership is the best way to do it.

When you do drive one, make sure you drive the car how you normally would. Do some higher-RPM shifts, downshifts, etc. Give it a workout, not a beating. You can make a choice from there.

One thing I will say...is test drive BOTH transmissions. Yes, the auto isn't quite as "fun" as the manual, but it is a tough bird. It will take a lot of abuse.

Also, looking at your past vehicles, you might actually prefer the Auto. Especially the 2013 version.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions.

There are a couple of reasons, but there's another I didn't mention. My wife is a 40 year diabetic with peripheral neuropathy that affects her legs on occasion. Due to this fact she hasn't driven a manual transmission car in ages. I want to have a manual for a couple of days to see if she is comfortable with a manual before making the move to buy one. In this context, I was even looking to renting a Focus, Cobalt, or a car of this class.

After I posted the original post early this morning, I even tried to find a place that would rent any manual car. They just aren't out there.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
go to a dealer that has a used one I would think they would be good with $250 for a weekend. Mine is OK but fussy, I do suggest doing all the recommend preventative measures if you spring for it. I will say from your last post about your wife I think this will never be a car she drives (no offense) and if you get hit by the bus and it's your only car it'll have to be sold.

edit...I have heard (2nd hand) of dealers doing extended test drives :?:

·
Registered
978 Posts
yeah. as others said, rentals places are going to get autos. for some reason, I only seem to see V6s at rental lots. I see SS camaros but no GTs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
go to a dealer that has a used one I would think they would be good with $250 for a weekend. Mine is OK but fussy, I do suggest doing all the recommend preventative measures if you spring for it. I will say from your last post about your wife I think this will never be a car she drives (no offense) and if you get hit by the bus and it's your only car it'll have to be sold.

I once took a used '08 Chrysler 300 home for the weekend at the dealerships urging. They were ripping me off on the price though and I tried dealing with them several times and they wouldn't have it. So... when I dropped the 300 off after weekend joy riding, I showed them my new '10 Malibu I picked up across the street that morning. :p

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My local dealer does, at least under certain circumstances. When I was shopping, the saleswoman urged me to keep for the weekend a GT that I test drove. I declined, because I had already decided I wanted a Mustang, and that particular car wasn't equipped the way I wanted, so I didn't want to run up the miles for whoever eventually bought it. Still, the opportunity was there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

There are a couple of reasons, but there's another I didn't mention. My wife is a 40 year diabetic with peripheral neuropathy that affects her legs on occasion. Due to this fact she hasn't driven a manual transmission car in ages. I want to have a manual for a couple of days to see if she is comfortable with a manual before making the move to buy one. In this context, I was even looking to renting a Focus, Cobalt, or a car of this class.

After I posted the original post early this morning, I even tried to find a place that would rent any manual car. They just aren't out there.
Have you tried pricing out a 5.0 yet? The reason I ask this, is that some dealerships can be very friendly and forward when you show them that you're serious. If you go there and tell them what you are going to buy, maybe put a deposit down, show them some interest, etc...they will let you 'rent' a model from the lot out of good faith.

Explain to them the reason and hopefully they will be understanding. Hell, maybe they'll give you a car off the used lot to tool around with for a couple of miles/hours. I think it's worth a shot.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Oh you haven't been though an airport rental counter recently have you? Hertz rents; Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Hemi Challenger, Corvette and Porsche Panamara. I just rented a Challenger on my last biz trip.

Can I ask why you want to rent a manual 5.0 Mustang? I can almost gaurantee you that it's going to be impossible. But more importantly, renting a manual Mustang isn't going to provide any more info than test driving one before you buy it.

Just get the manual car you want, and spend the money you saved by NOT renting one, and get Red Line MTL into the tranny, and perhaps a shifting bracket installed.

Or, just don't abuse the transmission, be gentle with it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh you haven't been though an airport rental counter recently have you? Hertz rents; Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Hemi Challenger, Corvette and Porsche Panamara. I just rented a Challenger on my last biz trip.
I posted a link to this in my original post. Here it is again, please note they are all listed as autos, but I didn't see anything about a Porsche.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=adrenalinecollection.jsp&leftNavUserSelection=globNav_3_5_1&selectedRegion=United%20States

Have you tried pricing out a 5.0 yet? The reason I ask this, is that some dealerships can be very friendly and forward when you show them that you're serious. If you go there and tell them what you are going to buy, maybe put a deposit down, show them some interest, etc...they will let you 'rent' a model from the lot out of good faith.

Explain to them the reason and hopefully they will be understanding. Hell, maybe they'll give you a car off the used lot to tool around with for a couple of miles/hours. I think it's worth a shot.
I don't really want to do this as I may feel more obligated to that dealership and may not be willing to negotiate as hard since they did me a 'favor'. Living in the Houston area, I have many dealerships to choose from, so like I said, I don't want to be obligated to the dealership that loaned me a car.

·
Banned
103 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts