Ford Mustang Forum banner

Where to start my up grades

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  csamsh 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
I have just purchased a 1979 fox body with the 302. The car is 100% stock. I want to start upgrading it to make it faster and handle better, for more street racing purposes, however im not sure where to start. Im thinking my first move should be to replace the stock carb with a 600 cfm four barrell but if anyone has any better ideas please let me know! I apriciate all answers, and preferably keep the price down if possible.

#2 ·
"Road Racing" as used in this section title means road course race track driving and can include autocrossing and hill climbs or other events held on roads temporarily closed to general public traffic.

It does not mean street racing, and I don't know where to send you for that.

Norm

#3 ·
Street Racing is a NO NO, we do not condone that. If you mean drag racing at a sanctioned track, that is different.

#4 ·
well he said handle better, so I'll give you the list of what to upgrade-

1. The Driver
2. The Driver
3. No seriously, get as much seat time as you can and work on the driving before you really get deep into mechanical stuff
4. Brakes
5. Wheels and tires
6. Dampers and springs
7. Race seats/harnesses/rollover protection
8. Driveline- gearing/diff etc.
9. Other suspension- swaybars, links, bushings, control arms, etc
10. Weight reduction
11. Add power

#5 ·
Before adding power, there are some basic chassis mods that should be made (*cough* torque box stregthening, weld-on SFCs, . . . *cough*) and some approaches to other mods should be avoided like the plague.

He did specifically mention
for more street racing purposes
which could be along the lines of some Vin Diesel movie franchise as opposed to drag racing.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.