Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a restored 67 Mustang Coupe with a rebuilt C-Code 289 (Completely stock including Y-Pipe single exhaust). The 289 has less than 4k miles on it since the rebuild. I want to use the 289 and do not want to buy a 302 or any other new block. I would rather change out heads/intake/exhaust/cams etc.

I am new to this and do not know where to begin with parts, I am not sure what works with what and how to make sure I get the right parts for my engine (new heads fit etc.).

I am looking to find out what combos work best with the 289.

Heads
Intake Manifold
Carb
Headers
Exhaust
Cams

Sorry for the long, post. I just spent the past few years playing with the 09 mustang, so this is a new beast for me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
283 Posts
Look at an Elderbrock combo, definitely aluminum heads, bigger cam, carb and go! :kooky:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Are you going to do all at once or as money permits. Here's an order of things. 1st: 4B aluminum dual plane intake and a 470-600 cfm 4B carb, 2nd free flowing dual exhaust, headers would be nice, 3rd a camshaft this depends on what you want, the more radical the camshaft the worse the gas mileage will get and the idle will have more lope, but performance will improve if everything works together (a camshaft change will require upgrading the valve train (valve springs, keeper, retainer, etc), and lastly the heads I would stay with some that have bigger valves than stock like 1.9 or 1.94 intakes, not the 2.02 valves unless you are planning on racing a lot. Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on buying the parts over time and adding them on as I get them. Since the C-Code 289 comes standard with a 2bbl carb, will there be any issues with changing it to a 4bbl?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
absolutely not. You'll need to change the intake to a 4 bbl one and get a 4 bbl carb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any specifc intakes that are better than others, or that match up well with other parts? In particular, on summit racing that has 5 different companies edlebrock, weiand etc, but I don't know which ones are better, poor quality.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the info.

With the intake, exhaust, cam and head mods, what should i expect for HP?

·
Registered
278 Posts
My car came with dual exhaust but those stock manifolds don't breathe. I picked up a set of tri ys on CL and had our club mechanic install them with stainless steel pipes. If you want to keep the car more stock looking, pick up a set of hipo exhaust manifolds. I have heard that the Eddi Performer 289 intake manifold doesn't perform all that well. Of course I learned that after buying a used one on CL. I found a high rise Shelby dual plane on ebay and installed that instead. If I had to do it all over again I would install either the Weiand Stealth or shop around for one of the old Ford aluminum dual plane intakes. If you can find a used 4100 carb in good shape grab it. I went with an Eddie 500 since I couldn't find one reasonably priced and have been happy. You may also want to look at the pertronix module for your dizzy. I have a P1 and it has been on the car for 11 years with no problems. Not sure about the P2 or P3 models. I have heard complaints about them

·
Registered
503 Posts
I second the Edelbrock choice. They have great carbs. You will have to change out the old 2bbl intake tho. The reason I went with the Edelbrock performer 289 intake is because its made to mate up with their carbs (same material, design, etc) so i knew it wouldnt get messed up. Swapping out an intake manifold is pretty straightforward.

As for headers, some tri-y's are your best bet for clearance. You can make any headers fit but most will have at least some clearance issues. I got a pair of Pertronix tri-y's on mine from CJ Pony Parts (cjponyparts.com) and they work great. Get a mechanic or exhaust shop to hook them up with new pipes and mufflers. Any Magnaflow or cherry bomb mufflers are good.

Edelbrock also makes good aluminum heads. I went with the E-street ones on mine. Since your motor was just rebuild you can probably just pop the stock heads of bolt these on with new gaskets, as the block has most likely been cleaned/decked.

Comp Cams likely has the best cams. If your going for a street application, I would stick with a mild cam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, this information is greatly appreciated!

For the hypothetical setup of the following:

Aftermarket heads (edelbrock or AFR)
Mild cams (comp cams)
Headers (long tube or tri-y)
4 bbl carb
new intake manifold

What kind of hp should i expect out this setup? I know its a very general question, but I am not familiar with these engines. As I stated before, I am used to the 4.6L that I have in my 2009.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
ignoe all posts untill you answer the following....

1. what transmission do you have?

2. what RPM do you want to make peak horsepower at?

3. what are you going to be doing with the car?

4. OK, what are you REALLY going to do with the car?

5. what modifications are done to the chassis/suspension/brakes?

I have helped build a 67 with a 331 that had more $ in the suspension and brakes than the engine. It was a VERY hard car to drive and the stock Mustang suspension does not handle power well. Look at all the modifications needed to a GT350 or a BOSS 302 that was needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Currently have the C4 automatic transmission. I am willing to change out the transmission if necessary if required.

2. 5900-6500 (want the cam lopey sound)

3/4. I am looking for a streetable car that every once and a while we can take it to the track just to see what it does. Other than that it would be a cruising car. Maybe a "stoplight to stoplight" or punch it when getting onto the highway.

5. Nothing:weeps.....No upgrades, everything has been replaced with new parts, just not upgraded parts.

Further info:

The car was completely rebuilt with new parts to STOCK. The previous own took the old engine, exchanged it for a rebuilt 289 and transmission, the C4 has less than 4k miles on it. The rest of the car was torn down and built back up. Essentially, it is a "brand new" car...I really appreciate the stock, original feel for the car, but I would like to add my own touch to it. I intend to get some 15x7/16x8 in wheels and BFGoodrich Radial T/A for it to add accent that muscle car look. Thats pretty much it for the looks of it, the rest would be engine/suspension.

I again appreciate all your information, I am trying to get educated and informed prior to making any changes to the car. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
ignoe all posts untill you answer the following....

1. what transmission do you have?

2. what RPM do you want to make peak horsepower at?

3. what are you going to be doing with the car?

4. OK, what are you REALLY going to do with the car?

5. what modifications are done to the chassis/suspension/brakes?

I have helped build a 67 with a 331 that had more $ in the suspension and brakes than the engine. It was a VERY hard car to drive and the stock Mustang suspension does not handle power well. Look at all the modifications needed to a GT350 or a BOSS 302 that was needed.
yes, please ignore ALL previous posts!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you're going to do a high-rpm screamer (something I want to do too, but can't as I'll explain), you'll need to replace the bottom end. The stock rods and crank aren't made for anything much over 5000 rpm, and will hold together alright up to 6000 with some ARP hardware. Take a look at the Performer RPM hardware, it makes more power at only slightly higher rpms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts