Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know a good place to source discontinued parts for a 2005 v6 mustang? cant believe that the parts discontinued but sadly its true, not a single parts supplier i have used can find the part. the part im looking for is the transmission output flange/attached harmonic balancer

part number 4R3Z-7089-BB

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So, it goes on a 2005 V6 Mustang.
With a T-5 Five Speed Manual Transmission?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You better shop around. Based on your location, picking up "parts" locally may be an issue...Depends on the parts you are looking for too...performance parts ? OE replacements ? Looking for something in particular ? A simple search on this site will show a lot of options, and you will find many wiling to help. Welcome to AFM ! Your participation and sharing is appreciated;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Put in your part# in the search bar...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You better shop around. Based on your location, picking up "parts" locally may be an issue...Depends on the parts you are looking for too...performance parts ? OE replacements ? Looking for something in particular ? A simple search on this site will show a lot of options, and you will find many wiling to help. Welcome to AFM ! Your participation and sharing is appreciated;)
I tried searching the site and I've tried reaching out beyond my local parts suppliers. Can't seem to find the part anywhere. Search on here only showed up with this thread.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I tried searching the site and I've tried reaching out beyond my local parts suppliers. Can't seem to find the part anywhere. Search on here only showed up with this thread.
Back in post #2 I was trying to clarify what you need.

Does it HAVE to be new? what happened to the original flange?

The Ford part number doesn't help much in finding used parts.
If it goes on a 2005-2010 V-6 Mustang T-5 I'm pretty sure I can help you locate a good used one.

PM me if I can help.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Search a lot of the forums, craigslist, etc. I sell a lot of used 4.0 and 4.6 mustang parts (things I get and don't use and pass on to others).

Try to find an entire trashed transmission for cheap, and pull the flange off yourself or have a shop do it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
There is a place in Evansville IN that sells obsolete Ford parts. If you do a Google search for obsolete Ford parts you will find several places that sell them. I've got a used transmission that has that part on it, but I don't know if I want to seperate it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
In searching around I got an explanation that came to me through an associate who has contacts at Tremec.

The story is that Ford added this harmonic balancer on the T-5 output flange to settle some vibrations in the shifter handle on the 2005 models.

This was done by adding a rubber padded, heavy ring to the outside of the flange much like a harmonic balancer on the front of an engine.

Later it was determined that the vibrations were coming from the drive shafts so they discontinued the part and the newer Mustangs never even had them.

The recommendation is to remove the balancer completely and to just use a bare flange.

If vibrations occur, check the drive shaft!

·
Registered
992 Posts
My '07 had the vibration dampener. I bought a transmission out of a '08 and it only had the flange. When I rebuilt the '07 transmission I used the flange off of the '08 because it is much lighter. I've not noticed any problems with vibrations while using the flange. I think the dampener weighed 7 pounds more than the flange.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If we dig deep enough we find answers!

Strange that Ford didn't supersede the balancer part number with one for the bare flange.
That could have cut to the chase much more quickly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In searching around I got an explanation that came to me through an associate who has contacts at Tremec.

The story is that Ford added this harmonic balancer on the T-5 output flange to settle some vibrations in the shifter handle on the 2005 models.

This was done by adding a rubber padded, heavy ring to the outside of the flange much like a harmonic balancer on the front of an engine.

Later it was determined that the vibrations were coming from the drive shafts so they discontinued the part and the newer Mustangs never even had them.

The recommendation is to remove the balancer completely and to just use a bare flange.

If vibrations occur, check the drive shaft!
My first guess was the driveshaft too, but unfortunatly I replaced it with a brand new one and I'm still experiencing the vibration...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My first guess was the driveshaft too, but unfortunatly I replaced it with a brand new one and I'm still experiencing the vibration...
Okay... Hmm...

Cars have gone for years without needing a balancer on the tail of the transmission. So, it CAN work...

Thoughts:
It appears that Ford found something with the drive shaft design that they changed for the last couple of years that they used this T-5. ...around 2008, 2009, 2010. So, what style is your new drive shaft? If it was one just like the original then, maybe continued vibration might be expected. If Ford didn't supersede the balancer flange with the plain one, they probably didn't supersede the drive shaft with the improved style either.

Also, make sure the rear mount for the transmission is pretty firm.

If all else fails you might need to do a "pinion angle" check comparing the angle of the flange on the differential to the angle of the flange on the back of the transmission. They must be parallel to reduce vibrations.

Has anything been done to the differential that could affect the angle of the rear flage, or has the car been lowered by chance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay... Hmm...

Cars have gone for years without needing a balancer on the tail of the transmission. So, it CAN work...

Thoughts:
It appears that Ford found something with the drive shaft design that they changed for the last couple of years that they used this T-5. ...around 2008, 2009, 2010. So, what style is your new drive shaft? If it was one just like the original then, maybe continued vibration might be expected. If Ford didn't supersede the balancer flange with the plain one, they probably didn't supersede the drive shaft with the improved style either.

Also, make sure the rear mount for the transmission is pretty firm.

If all else fails you might need to do a "pinion angle" check comparing the angle of the flange on the differential to the angle of the flange on the back of the transmission. They must be parallel to reduce vibrations.

Has anything been done to the differential that could affect the angle of the rear flage, or has the car been lowered by chance?

The car has not been lowered and the vibration itself isn't coming from the read end. When I lift the rear end and run the car up to 50km/hr you can physically feel te vibration coming from where to flange mounts to the transmission. 5the driveshaft I replaced it with isn't the same as the stock one either. Went to a reputable driveline shop and had one built, went away from the slip yoke style and both flanges were replaced as well on the shaft

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The car has not been lowered and the vibration itself isn't coming from the read end. When I lift the rear end and run the car up to 50km/hr you can physically feel te vibration coming from where to flange mounts to the transmission. The driveshaft I replaced it with isn't the same as the stock one either. Went to a reputable driveline shop and had one built, went away from the slip yoke style and both flanges were replaced as well on the shaft
Thinking some more...

When I've put a car on jack stands and run the drive train there has always been excessive chatter and vibration at the rear of the transmission and in the differential. You may be experiencing something different, but in my case the wheels would get ahead of the free-play, taking the slack out of the drive train. They would then "bounce" back and hit the other end of the gear lash. Bouncing back and forth, making lots of noise and shaking. I'm just considering that running the drive train with no load may not be a valid test for vibration.

On another thought. I think you said you bought the car with the vibration? The 2005+ drive shafts have a reputation for failing. Particularly with the V-8 cars. Somehow, there is a way that when it fails, it can bend the output shaft and in some cases crack the tail housing. I've seen this several times on the TR3650 transmissions.

With this said, what if your original shaft failed previously and bent your output shaft just a little. I suppose this can be measured with a dial indicator against your flange to check it for wobble?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Is it possible that the rubber had gone bad and allowed the outer ring to slip? Have you checked to see if the ring can be turned? I've seen harmonic ballancers on the front of engines do this several times.

I would try to locate a '08 or later transmission and get the flange off of it and see if that helps any. These things have a large nut that holds them in the transmission and they are sealed, so installation is different from earlier transmissions where the yoke just slips in. You also need a puller to remove them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts