Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where's the cruise control unit located in a Fox Mustang?

16K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BIG G 
#1 ·
My cruise has never worked since I've owned the car. Where are the cruise components located? I have heard under the driver fender....Do they mean literally under it so that I would have to remove it?

I just rebuilt my engine and while I was at it I replaced all of the vac lines under the hood. I would really love to get my cruise working.

1989 Mustang GT

#2 ·
Power for the cruise control comes in through the DRL/Fog/Horn fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It then goes through the horn relay (don't ask me why) , through the clockspring in the steering wheel and then to the cruise control switch.
So, if the cruise control and the horn doesn't work, it is likely the horn relay or the clockspring assembly is bad. If the horn does work, then the clockspring assembly or the cruise control switch is bad.

Attachments

#3 ·
Pease forgive my ignorance, but what is the clockspring assembly and where is it located? I don't know too much about the stuff up on the steering column and wheel.

I like that diagnostic sheet you posted. It sounds like you've been around the block with fox cruises.

#4 ·
89 dont have a clock spring, a clock spring is a set of ribbon wires wound and is hard wired from the stearing wheel to the colum in air bag mustangs, but yours has a sliding contact, my try to remove stearing wheel and lightly sand the 3 points/pins int the colum and sand contact plate on wheel, the speed control servo is under drivers fender accessed by removing inner fender plastic shield, make shure the vac dump veave is adjusted on the brake pedal so it holds vac with brake not applied, if it dosent push the vac switch towards the brake pedal arm, bigG:bigthumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.