Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm lookin to upgrade my motor a lil bit. I'm thinking about PI stage 2 cnc ported heads on my 98gtblock, pi intake, and then some comp cams. I just am not sure which cams to go with. so far car has gears intake and catback exhaust. I"m looking to get near 300whp all motor but i wanna a very streetable cam. i'm thinking about the comp cams #102600. does anyone have these? how do you like them? what kinda power do you think this setup will put down?(stage 2 cnc ported pi heads, those comp cams and bolt ons) thank you

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What are the specs on the cam? I don't exactly have a Comp Cams catalog in front of me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ive got Comp xe270s and I love them. Very noticable Idle. One word of warning you might have to flycut your pistons to use them. Some guys get away without doing it, I didn't but I do have CP'c that are a -9cc.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
What are the specs on the cam? I don't exactly have a Comp Cams catalog in front of me.
- - the 102600's are the 270AH's, and isn't there a possilbe PTV issue when using in a PI swap? Safer looking at the 262AH's, street price for cams around $550. We really want to consider some decent valve springs as well.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The 270's will match the ported heads well but your stock plastic intake manifold will now be the choking point.

G

·
Monkey Boy said:
The 270's will match the ported heads well but your stock plastic intake manifold will now be the choking point.

He has the PI intake if thats what u mean. Hmm i want the 268s for my car, no valve spring change and the sound... :worship

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
He has the PI intake if thats what u mean. Hmm i want the 268s for my car, no valve spring change and the sound... :worship
The plastic PI intake is good but when you've got fully ported heads and a cam that big, it becomes the choke point. A ported Bullitt or P-51 would match the combo better. He needs more runner volume and shorter runners.

G

·
Monkey Boy said:
The plastic PI intake is good but when you've got fully ported heads and a cam that big, it becomes the choke point. A ported Bullitt or P-51 would match the combo better. He needs more runner volume and shorter runners.

Allright thats true. Makes more sense now! The NPI intake is a choke point on anything!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
Allright thats true. Makes more sense now! The NPI intake is a choke point on anything!
- Don't believe we're talking about putting the NPI manifold back on after the switch to PI heads; and MonkeyBoy is saying the PI manifold becomes the choke point. May be true though it will easily flow over 300hp n/a and the switch up to a Purple C4, Bullitt, or P-51 is some serious cash. Believe I'd look at other things on my list before I made the jump to an aftermarket intake on a mildy-modded car.

G

·
meatball said:
- Don't believe we're talking about putting the NPI manifold back on after the switch to PI heads; and MonkeyBoy is saying the PI manifold becomes the choke point. May be true though it will easily flow over 300hp n/a and the switch up to a Purple C4, Bullitt, or P-51 is some serious cash. Believe I'd look at other things on my list before I made the jump to an aftermarket intake on a mildy-modded car.

I know that!! Who would put one on PI heads? LOL I was making a joke and saying the NPI is a choke on factory heads, ported heads or anything!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Meatball, whats a purple c4, I haven't heard of that one. I need to do an intake on mine and have been thinking P51, trying to hold out and see what else comes out. My intake and front cover are the only two pieces left from my original engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the comps 268's or the VT stage 1's

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I saw a Reichart intake at the speed shop one day. That's a nice looking piece, long runners with a pretty beefy plenum area. The only downside is I'm not so sure it'll fit under a stock hood.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was looking into the Reichart, but everybody tells me its not very streetable, mostly a race intake. I keep hoping someone will come out with somthing between a P51 and a Reichart. Not sure on the hood clearence with a reichart but you need to pull the hood insulation out with the P51. I only have another month of driving then it goes away for the winter, I'll have one of the intakes by spring, not sure how many more times I can put a 150 shot on a plastic intake.

One more note on the 270's, my car has a very radical idle and will stahl once and a while if your not real carefull. When I pull in some where everybody knows its not stock right away. I wish I could do a sound clip for guys because it sounds really mean.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
srsfunk said:
I was looking into the Reichart, but everybody tells me its not very streetable, mostly a race intake. I keep hoping someone will come out with somthing between a P51 and a Reichart. Not sure on the hood clearence with a reichart but you need to pull the hood insulation out with the P51. I only have another month of driving then it goes away for the winter, I'll have one of the intakes by spring, not sure how many more times I can put a 150 shot on a plastic intake.

One more note on the 270's, my car has a very radical idle and will stahl once and a while if your not real carefull. When I pull in some where everybody knows its not stock right away. I wish I could do a sound clip for guys because it sounds really mean.
Go with the P51R, then. More racey than the P51 but still not as extreme as the Reichardt.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks! Dont know how I missed that one. They should give me one so I could test it for them LOL :eyepoppin I'll prolly just go with a P51, not sure yet, but I have to step up my tranny next anyway.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.