Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well am at the point that i need to get the gears, now for all the masters out there i need help choosing what gears to go with and why. I was thinking of going with 4.10's but someone had told me that i will loose top end speed, is this true? what would be the right gear? i have the 2005 mustang gt manual 5 speed and i think it comes with 3.73 gears stock. I drive the car mostly on the weekends but i do take it to the track every friday and i need the extra pickup and go for the 1/4 mile. any help would be greatly apprciated, Also where can i get the gears at ? and what do i ask for? thanks all:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gears

I love my 4.10's!

My car is not a daily driver and the 4.10's are really fun to drive.
Your factory ratio should be 3.55
I used Ford racing gears but you can get good gear sets from a number of sources.

I trap in the 1/4 at 117-118 with the 4.10's.

Top speed is 140+. I don't think you need to worry about 4.10's slowing your top end down unless you are chasing the Very expensive stuff, or Bikes.

See what some of the other say!
Cheers Paul:gringreen

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
jplaytym said:
Hey guys well am at the point that i need to get the gears, now for all the masters out there i need help choosing what gears to go with and why. I was thinking of going with 4.10's but someone had told me that i will loose top end speed, is this true? what would be the right gear? i have the 2005 mustang gt manual 5 speed and i think it comes with 3.73 gears stock. I drive the car mostly on the weekends but i do take it to the track every friday and i need the extra pickup and go for the 1/4 mile. any help would be greatly apprciated, Also where can i get the gears at ? and what do i ask for? thanks all:D
Since you have a 5 speed, the $$$ of installing 3.73s would be a waste of good $$$ since you currently have a 3.55...

Always jump as least two (2) gear sizes to make it worth the performance gain...

I agree with everyone else, the 4.10s would not hurt your highway driving but may cost you a little more $$$ in gas because of the higher RPMs at 65MPH...

But -- if you supercharge one day, the 3.55 or 3.73 will be my choice gear set...

Dave :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue

·
Registered
269 Posts
There was an excellent thread on here a couple of months back on 4:10's. I believe it was posted by Redfire, do a search and track that puppy down as it will answer all your questions and then some:wavey

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have 4.10's in my auto, frpp, and i love them. no whine, no loss of top end. they are great, and would recommend them to everyone. but i here if you got a sc or will get a sc in the future get 3.73's.

·
Registered
559 Posts
05GTSILVER said:
i have 4.10's in my auto, frpp, and i love them. no whine, no loss of top end. they are great, and would recommend them to everyone. but i here if you got a sc or will get a sc in the future get 3.73's.
Good Advice, 05GTSilver...

I'd love to see and hear your car run someday...

I bet it "kicks ass"!!!

D

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks for the compliment disco

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has anyone ran a GT (5sp manual) stock down the 1/4 and then swaped gears to 4.10, run the 1/4 again and note the gains. Be interesting to see what gears alone get you...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the input. I think that 4.10's are definately the way to go. NOW can anyone tell me where to get them and what to ask for? thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i went with the 4.10's i have set up day of oct 11th to get them installed and they are saying i should be hitting 12.9's in the 1/4 with these. we will see:winks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes fordguy13 it is mine.!! thanks to all for the great comments

·
Registered
717 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but i rather ask in here than make a new thread...so here goes.... i have a stock 06 mustang GT with 3.55's would i feel ANY difference if i went with 3.73's?? how much of a difference would it be? i'm still interested in a SC so i'm not sold on 4.10's.....but do you guys think that i would have a noticeable difference between 3.55's and 3.73's?????

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't think you would feel enough of a difference to warrant spending $600 for gears and install.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.