• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the people that have or had gear whine/noise. Which ratio did you install?

4.10, 3.73, 3.55, 3.31.

And yes I know these are no where near all the possible options of gear ratio's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
am gonna change to 3.73 Soon

·
Registered
519 Posts
whoops.. meant to click 4.10.. putting in 3.73's tomorrow in prep for supercharger.. bought the full bearing install kit just to be safe.. gonna tell the mechanic that if there is noise he is going to redo it at his own expense. Amazingly enough, my 4.10 gear noise seems to have gone away in the last hundred miles.. was really bad from 300-600 miles.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
i put in motive 3.73's.... no whine

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Three sets of noisy 3.55's

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went down to 3.73's, 4.10's are too much with the blower.....

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I have stock 3.31s, no noise.. I am having my FRPP 3.73s installed Monday, so i can not help yah there.. It is not about what gear ratio, it is about the gear/installer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have stock 3.31s, no noise.. I am having my FRPP 3.73s installed Monday, so i can not help yah there.. It is not about what gear ratio, it is about the gear/installer.

Not according to American Muscle...:headscratch:

Brian,

Unfortunately when you put in a hardened metal gear set they do tend to make
noise when you drive with them. 4.10's are notorious for gear whine which is
one of the reasons why some people may say that they are not streetable. The
noise isn't a bad thing and it's not the manufacturer. Ford racing gears are
usually some of the best ones you can get. The whine usually comes from the
difference in the way the gears are cut and the hardness of the metal.

If you have any further questions please call us, 1-866-727-1266.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Not according to American Muscle...:headscratch:

Brian,

Unfortunately when you put in a hardened metal gear set they do tend to make
noise when you drive with them. 4.10's are notorious for gear whine which is
one of the reasons why some people may say that they are not streetable. The
noise isn't a bad thing and it's not the manufacturer. Ford racing gears are
usually some of the best ones you can get. The whine usually comes from the
difference in the way the gears are cut and the hardness of the metal.

If you have any further questions please call us, 1-866-727-1266.
Hmm, really? This makes sense, my friend has 4.10s (not sure if its FRPP or Motive) but he got them installed and said they whine and there is nothing they can do.. I wonder if that is why they whine.. Hope my FRPP 3.73s are NOT whiners :laugh:

Time will tell.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've got the FRPP 4.10 and no whine or noise.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i have frp 410 and barely a little noise kinda like a spining sound you have to listen reall hard and it has to be reall guite to hear it.but i am haveing a hard and loud clunking all of a sudden after 3 months and 1k after the install.it happens when i get on it hard and then have to let off.and it downshifts into lower gears.it sounds like the drive shafts trying to come out the front of the car.he says everything is perfect on my install so i dont know what to do.for the first 1k it was perfect makes no since to me.somtimes i wish i would have never strated this moding bs it can be a headace and will make you go broke faster than crack.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have FRPP 4.10's. No break-in, and after suffering through the wrath of my right foot for several thousand miles, there is still no whine.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I have FRPP 4.10's. No break-in, and after suffering through the wrath of my right foot for several thousand miles, there is still no whine.
Ah i see you joined up with us Valerie, hey any word on the mustang meet in orlando by me for next weekend? :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same here,no break in period and no whine what so ever.I love em!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have FRPP 4.10s that have been hardened by running through the Mikronite process. They are whisper quiet. I wouldn't trust that response you got back from American Muscle. Making a blanket statement that a certain numerical set of gears whine or that hardened ones whine is crazy. Hardened gears are usually quieter.
That whine you hear is because either the pinion depth is off or the back lash is off (or both) and creates excessive friction. Hardened gears are smoother (but that usually depends on the process) so they have less rough surface area to create whine. There is no break in process needed on Mikronite treated gears either. If you're not familiar with the Mikronite process you can check it out here. Mikronite owned Crane, not the other way around so they are still around so don't worry about that if you want to use them
Mikronite

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have FRPP 4.10s that have been hardened by running through the Mikronite process. They are whisper quiet. I wouldn't trust that response you got back from American Muscle. Making a blanket statement that a certain numerical set of gears whine or that hardened ones whine is crazy. Hardened gears are usually quieter.
That whine you hear is because either the pinion depth is off or the back lash is off (or both) and creates excessive friction. Hardened gears are smoother (but that usually depends on the process) so they have less rough surface area to create whine. There is no break in process needed on Mikronite treated gears either. If you're not familiar with the Mikronite process you can check it out here. Mikronite owned Crane, not the other way around so they are still around so don't worry about that if you want to use them
Mikronite
Is this some thing you can do AFTER an install...or am I in for a new set of gears?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.