Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 an an AOD trans from an 85 Cougar that we are using in a 66 Mustang. I want to use the Tri-Y headers, but I would like to know before I order them if they will fit. I know the motor is essentially the same as a 289 would have been, my worry is the transmission, my understanding is that this AOD is wider than a C4. Will these headers fit?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I would think that since the bellhousing is not any wider, they should fit. I would contact the header man. and ask them or the vendor that sells them. Mustangs Plus is a good source as well as Windsor Fox Engineering.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that tip I had forgotten how much info that windsor-fox.com had on their webpage. Unfortunately, I found this:

"One last note regarding exhaust systems while installing an AOD in any early Ford product, including Mustangs: As this is written, no longtube headers made by any past or present manufacturer will fit the AOD oil pan without major reworking. If you are going with fuel injection, shorty headers are a much better choice for everyday highway use."

So instead of coated Tri-Y headers for $250, now I am looking at the coated shorty headers for $450. Ouch!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Isn't that enough to frost you!! I never have understood why the short headers are more than the long headers!!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Putt you seem to have some cool toys, you should post some pics in your gallery!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found ceramic coated shorty's on ebay for 150 but I do not know if they will work for my application or not.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any chance of getting a part number/mfg. and then checking with them??

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can tell you that the AOD is a bit wider than a C4 and the headers will be a tight fit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.