Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2005 Mustang GT with a Hurst Shirt Throw Shifter, and a Bama Tuner with 93 Octane tune, C&L Racer Intake, and Pypes Axle-Back Muffler Delete. My friend has a Nissan 350z with K&N Bolt on intake, Nitto involved 10.5 tires, enkie wheels and Coilover suspension. Both are manuals and right now from a rolling start 30 mph, 2nd gear 3800rpm, i can beat him but only by about 1/2 a car length. I would like to know what mod I could get now to be able to get the jump on him. He will soon be getting a intake manifold spacer and i am worried this could be the end of my streak. Btw i am still on a high school job budget, so no supercharger or Turbo.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd get the Pypes offroad x-pipe, I defitely noticed a horsepower increase, allfor only $194. My tune programmer is supposed to be here sometime next week so that's gonna be even more hp/tq

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I currently have a 2005 Mustang GT with a Hurst Shirt Throw Shifter, and a Bama Tuner with 93 Octane tune, C&L Racer Intake, and Pypes Axle-Back Muffler Delete. My friend has a Nissan 350z with K&N Bolt on intake, Nitto involved 10.5 tires, enkie wheels and Coilover suspension. Both are manuals and right now from a rolling start 30 mph, 2nd gear 3800rpm, i can beat him but only by about 1/2 a car length. I would like to know what mod I could get now to be able to get the jump on him. He will soon be getting a intake manifold spacer and i am worried this could be the end of my streak. Btw i am still on a high school job budget, so no supercharger or Turbo.

Thanks in advance!
NicolasStutler,

I've actually owned both of these cars lol (07 GT and an 07 350z) so I can definitely speak for both of them. It really depends on what year his Z is. If he has an 07 + the revised VQ motor is in them which produces 305hp and definitely halls the mail! They also react really well to mods, however an intake manifold spacer wont give him much more then 7-10HP so he won't beat you but will definitely hang pretty close to dead even.

Your best bang for the buck would be a set of gears. Since your car is Manual you have a decision to make, do you drive the car on the highway a lot? or is it more of a city/around town car. If it's a city car I'd go with a set of 4.10 Gears and if its a highway car then I'd go with a set of 3.73's or 3.90's so that your not shifting as much!

With that set u he won't be able to touch you. After that you could go with some Long Tube headers, O/R Mid pipe and a Throttle body, then you'll start to run away from him!

I hope this helps. I'm confident you'll be really happy with the improvement and gains of these mods. Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Dan

·
Registered
939 Posts
Def gears and longtubes! Its a huge change.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Gears hands down :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say gears and an x pipe will help you alot. My car (mods in sig) eats my friend's 06 350Z easily :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dude I am in the same situation! My friend has a 03' 350z has around 86,000miles on it and all decked out, ready to be turbo'd which he plans on doing next summer. He talks so much sh*t it pissesss me off. So im gonna beat him to shut him up, and he'd honestly probably cry cuz he doesn't care much for our mustangs. I got axlebacks, X pipe, CAI, BAMA tune, tbs, shortie headers. I want gears next, either 3.73 or 3.90?

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Guys is this some sort of a joke? I don't even consider those cars competition.

When I was BONE stock I took 2 cars on my buddies cammed 350z.

I'm now CAI, TB, TB Spacer, Pulleys, Delete Plates, and tuned. I RAPE and I mean like 5-6+ cars these things...

I've raced G37's and take 3-4 cars on them too. I've been to the track and run MUCH quicker then 370z's...

I mean every driver is different but I've raced LOTS of these and not one has come close, either bolt on or stock...

They don't have the "lighter" advantage like most imports do, they weigh almost as much as us. Except we make a whooping 60 LB torque more then they do. We also gain a lot more power from mods...

Idk I've yet to race a 350z that has stayed less then 3-4 cars from me.

Not trying to sound douchie but it's true...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, well so we raced after he put on his intake manifold spacer, and it is about dead even. I just have my long 2nd gear, and i get a little nose jump in front of him. After that, no pull like i used to have :( I did have someone with me, to so maybe il get my lead again by myself. I've decided my next mod is going to be long tube and x pipe.. No cats :D

S

·
0 Posts
An extra body DEFINITELY makes a difference. I've raced my buddy a lot. He has a 2011 5.0. If I have my friend riding with me (weighs 250lbs) and I have a full tank of gas and my buddy with the 5.0 has 1/4 tank and is by himself, you can see the difference pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Gears should do it, or you could put the cash gears will set you back and go straight to F/I and you will have no Z car worries for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You guy floor me. For $3500 you can have 450 rear wheel horse power positive displacement blower and you guys talk a fraction of that for nearly as much. I just don't get the desire to waste money.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Horsepower is defiantly user pay. The more horsepower you want access to, the more it will cost you. A positive displacement blower is defiantly the way to go if you want to have reliable (idle like a stocker) 450+ hp under your right foot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then according to you guys I should be able to beat his Z no problem. I haven't tried with all my mods on. With just a CAI and axleback I couldn't, but that was just messing around and he left me. I just wanted to go full out to make suure of the win and not result in wanting to rematch and him say " you had to add mods to beat me" .

R

·
0 Posts
What?

My old GT, bone stock, murdered my friend's 03 350Z. It wasn't even close. Same 60' times at the track too. I'd win by about 8/10th's every time. We even switched drivers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm im not sure. Maybe I should just try it then. Im not sure what all he has but im pretty sure headers,cams,cai,tbs, maybe tb. Dual exhaust sounds good. 6speed short throw. Stage 2 clutch. Newerr transmission. Maybe tuned. And wants to turbo it next summer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What?

My old GT, bone stock, murdered my friend's 03 350Z. It wasn't even close. Same 60' times at the track too. I'd win by about 8/10th's every time. We even switched drivers.
Same here! I had a '02 GT with 3.73s and the usual bolt-ons when the 350Zs first came out and every new owner was cocky as hell. I don't know how many tried me. From a roll, from a dig, it didn't matter the '02 put them all down. Heck I remember one having 30 day tags on it. I never tried one with my '06 GT with 4.10s and full bolt-ons but it was faster than the '02 so that would have been no problem either. My '11 GT would have just murdered one.

O.P. you need gears (no less than 3.90s) bad!! Trying to run from a roll starting at 3800RPMs is killing you! That 350Z should be in your rear view mirror before the high revving 3.5L even gets into it's power band.

My brother sells Nissans and tells me the new 370Zs don't have any balls either. He drives a '97 Cobra with 4.10s and bolt-ons BTW.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.