Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a 95 gt that is wrecked. im currently trying to straighten it out but dont know if it will. i am thinking of finding a cobra. i have found a few 98 model cobras but i dont know if they are sohc or dohc or if they are any good. i like the 01 and 03 cobras but i dont really have the money for one of those. the 98s seem reasonable in price but that leaves me leary on them. should i stick with a 94 or 95 cobra or go for the newer modular motor. thanks for any incite or advice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
All cobras from 96 and up are DOHC engines. I like all cobras but the best by far are the 03-04 Cobras. If you have some time save and try to get one of those bad boys. But if money is to tight a 2001 would be my next choice they are also great. the 98 cobra is a god choice as well, either way a Cobra is nice to have in my opinion.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
806 Posts
if i were you i would save up and get the 03/04. I have a 98 and i like it, its just will cost alot to put boost to it. goodluck with your choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
save save save haha then get a stock 03/04 cobra, and throw a KB on that mofo;)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
03/04 with about 50K miles would be the best bang for the buck in this economy:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it was hit in the door hinges which pushed the door back and bent where the door latches. it also bent the cowl panel, crunched up the floor pan and also buckled the floor pan. so far he has the door on but not adjusted and the cowl panel straightend out. its still unk if it will staighen all the way out. i hate to loose it beause it was the last year of the 5.0 but i would love to have a cobra.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
well as the everyone said, the 03/04 are the best, if you can afford it id get one of those. the 99/01 are pretty much the same except a few features here and there, the 99 will be much cheaper than the 01 of course but if you get one of those make sure you call svt and make sure the performance recall was done. people say they dont produce good power unless boosted but mine only has bolt-ons and it pushing to the wheels around what it came with to the crank stock. as for the 96-98, its takes even more to get power out of those. it just depends on the budget you have and what you want the car for. i got mine for $7500 in mint condition, im sure if you look and be patient you can find somethting to your liking.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Any DOHC Cobra would be a kick in the pants and a lot of fun to mod.
Finding a stock one may be more of a challenge, but there are many out there to be had.
A stock 03/04 with low miles is probably the most desirable of model years. But, again, finding one stock may be tough...at the very least, more expensive.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well call me crazy but im kind of parcial to the 94-98 boby style for some reason. i just like the way they look. i need to decide now if i want the pushrod 5.0 or go for the modular. i test drove a 96 today and fell in love with it. i know im going to get a cobra instead of another gt but i just got to figure out which one. i know the 03/04 has a supercharger from factory but some of you said it costs more to boost a 96-98. what is the average cost comparison to boost them. im not going all out racing i just want a nice fast weekend driver. again thanks for all yaws input.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
you'll spend about $6000+ to boost your car, the reason the 03s are so much better is because they have forged pistons and rods where the earlier models do not which really limits how much power you can make (about 450), also the terminator has a intercooler and a 6spd transmission...
You can easily find boosted 96=98 cobras for around $8000 on Ebay, that really is the way to go if you have the cash, if it's a long term project, then yeah, just buy a base model and build it as you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Cobra-1997-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-SVT-Supercharged-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ba42e3adQQitemZ140563899309QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
wow what a deal, 23K ORIGINAL MILES...man

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea its kind of a long term project. im not in any hurry. like i said i just want a nice fast sharp looking weekend driver that sound really mean so i will probably be deleting the cats. i live in nc so we have emissions test and the car will have to be put on a computer. ive read about mils that plug into the o2 sensor thats after the cats, is that all i would need to do to trick the computer? they sound so much better and meaner without the cats. my 95 gt has off road h pipe and flomasters but it could still be louder.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
those MIL eliminators can be hokey...why not just man up and get some hi flow cats? No one wants polluted air

·
Registered
147 Posts
tricking the computer is not the problem.Here in Ga, we have a visual inspection of the cats and if you can't get past the tech,well....you are not going to get your emissions done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my mechanic doesnt do a look test. he owns a mustang too. and on the cat comment, you got to be kidding me. are you for real? got word that my 95 gt, w/ no cats, cant be fixed. bummer. looks like it will be a parts car now. well guess i better get started looking for a cobra. thanks for all your advise and criticism.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
im so glad no emmisions in the part of ga i stay at. i have no cats, pcv system or egr valve. id be screwed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well call me crazy but im kind of parcial to the 94-98 boby style for some reason. i just like the way they look. i need to decide now if i want the pushrod 5.0 or go for the modular. i test drove a 96 today and fell in love with it. i know im going to get a cobra instead of another gt but i just got to figure out which one. i know the 03/04 has a supercharger from factory but some of you said it costs more to boost a 96-98. what is the average cost comparison to boost them. im not going all out racing i just want a nice fast weekend driver. again thanks for all yaws input.
go for the 03 terminator, it took me 8k to bring it to almost 800 rwhp, ( 5.0 mustang & fast fords magazine, july 2011 issue, page 98), and there is a HUGE difference between 99/01 and the 03/04, HUGE, just saying.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
go for the 03 terminator, it took me 8k to bring it to almost 800 rwhp, ( 5.0 mustang & fast fords magazine, july 2011 issue, page 98), and there is a HUGE difference between 99/01 and the 03/04, HUGE, just saying.
$8000? That's a low figure for that kinda power, that's about what I spent getting my KB and mods/tuning all dialed in and I'm still not forged or intercooled...well until I drop my GT500 motor in:bigthumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts