Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First im sorry board admins im new and there's not really a spot for this kind of question.
(Most of this is cop and pasted from my useless yahoo answers, should always go to mustang people for mustang answers not ricers)

Which mustang is better for me?

I'm high-school, minimum wage job, 150-160 a week - $85 a month for insurance turning 17 in a month or so ("good driver" and good grades discount) i would like a 98-04 mustang and more than likely slowly but surely mod. Yes have fun every now and then. My ultimate goal down the road is to twin turbo but i know i would have to do forged internals etc etc. Im not one to just slap a ricer body kit on and be proud, i want performance. At the same time i'm not to sure on the engine type. I know v8 is way more power etc but eats gas and v6 is still sporty and fun. HP difference after a twin turbo mod? hp wise? would v6 suit me better with just a basic stang? or v8 like a gt? i want speed. But also something that suits my needs a little more. Atm im stuck with full 4 door 3.4 base 2001 impala :Y (its prolly going to mom if i get the stang)

I DO NOT WANT A 5.0 :c everybody keeps trying to steer me at them

some one also suggested a mustang with a windsor engine?

would it be good to just get a basic v6 and get a crate engine? or would i have to redo the transmission and take care of the back?

I know its alot of different questions and variables but i need oppions on my buy

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Buy exactly what YOU want right from the get go. Get the engine YOU want not what others tell you to get even though I know you are trying to get opinions.

Get the color you want or as close to it as possible.

What are you going to do with the car?

Are you mechanically inclined can you do the work or get someone to help you do it cheap if you want to modify it? If not maybe youll want something that already has some forced induction.

Do you want a 1/4 car a daily driver or an autocross car?

All of these things you have to figure out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Windsors are 5.0L and 5.7L(351).

Im going to be honest just get the v8 if you want performance. A v6 with any boost or anything is going to cost you a fortune to setup and a fortune on fuel anyways. Your looking into a 30,000+ dollar build EVERYTHING will need to be replaced from the Rad all the way back to the fuel pump. Bumper to bumper. ECU all the fuel delivery the whole production motor is garbage to you. You will need an aftermarket racing block to house all this power.

A stock v8 will roast tires thats all you need. With some gearing in the rear end maybe some bigger tires so you can put the power to the ground. Im just being reasonable. Given your circumstances.

Just get a v8 put some minor mods on it and ull have plenty of REASONABLE power.

For a rookie I would suggest a 96 and up mustang, the 94-95 year although has the 5.0L the computer isnt very kind to people who dont understand there programming and want to modify there engine. Although a quick tune could fix all your problems, for some people thats out of the price range and out of the state....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
either way it will be my daily driver, it will be a toy at times and id rather not get stuck behind all the ricers around here im just thinking the v8 is going to chug the gas while the v6 wont be fast enough

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the tip sean but if i went with v8 was there a better year for them? or one more accepting to mod? like starting out with just some bolt ons? and would the standard v8 block handle just bolt ons? or wear it out?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
They will all hold bolt ons just fine although suspension mods and gears will be you best bet in mods to start with. The 99+ models have a few more ponies I think 260 HP and pre 99 have 215 HPnbecause of the different heads on them.

Read all over this forum and you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What makes you think a v8 is going to CHUG gas? Its really not that bad man.....lol If anything besides the Abrahms tank in your garage is chugging gas, it has mechanical issues...My 5.0 gets great gas milage as long as you dont drive it like a ****head.lol
get a v8

R

·
0 Posts
Im going to be honest just get the v8 if you want performance. A v6 with any boost or anything is going to cost you a fortune to setup and a fortune on fuel anyways. Your looking into a 30,000+ dollar build EVERYTHING will need to be replaced from the Rad all the way back to the fuel pump. Bumper to bumper. ECU all the fuel delivery the whole production motor is garbage to you. You will need an aftermarket racing block to house all this power.
This is wrong on so many points.

There are several V6 cars out there with 600hp+ on the stock blocks. No one has broken one yet. Let's see a 302 block do 600hp+ without committing suicide...

It isn't going to cost anywhere near $30,000 to boost a V6 car. Stock internals are good to 10psi. Forged internals are $1800. Heck you can get a complete forged engine from GSS for $7,000 that will take any kind of beating you can throw at it.

Please don't spout BS if you have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A production block will house 500hp. With just bolt ons you will be lucky to make 500hp. Unless you bolt on some nitrous or boost then your pushing your luck.

A v8 in a car is not like a v8 in a truck. You dont need to make the motor work to move the weight.

Put a 5.0 in a truck and into a car you need to give the truck 50% throttle to get up to speed. In the car 50% throttle will be costing you more in tires then fuel.

Like I said before 96+ will be more modder friendly as far as bolt ons go. Its just the 94-95 t4mo computer years that arent very forgiving.

If you do buy a 94-95 people have successfully modded them it just takes alot of tuning at a dyno with a company that burns chips. Or if you put a computer system into it that allows someone with a dyno to tune it.

enough. just get a v8 dont be a rice haha.
american muscle ftw.
rice in muscle car bodys ftl

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well if you think putting twin turbos into a sn95 bodystyle is cheap or easy then your stupid.
ontop of your WHOLE motor and DRIVETRAIN upgrades that will be 100% necesary.
How much is a transmission, a stronger rear end, a drive shaft, a whole new motor with performance internals, intakes, heads, the turbos, all the custom work to run them, tires to plant it all, chassis stiffening.

you must be stupid if you think it will be cheap.

Anyways enough rice talk just get a v8 it makes more sense. If not just get a honda. Dont go look for a "fuel efficient" look-alike muscle car that some rich chick is selling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so, so far correct me if im wrong i get a v8 which stock will handle up to 500 ponies (how many if forged? and is there like a diy forge?) and i can throw as many bolt ons and replacement parts into it other than turbos or supercharger and the engine handle it beautifully as long as total under 500? (trust me i know bolt ons alone will not get me close to 500 lol)

R

·
0 Posts
ok so, so far correct me if im wrong i get a v8 which stock will handle up to 500 ponies (how many if forged? and is there like a diy forge?) and i can throw as many bolt ons and replacement parts into it other than turbos or supercharger and the engine handle it beautifully as long as total under 500?

A stock block will handle 500hp. Stock internals are good to 350-400hp. You can install your own forged internals, although if you have to ask, I serious doubt it.

Bolt-ons are going to very little in terms of power. You will not see 100hp from bolt-ons. Maybe 25-30rwhp max with full bolt-ons and a tune. Internal engine work is needed to make a real difference.

Any mods are playing with fire. Once you start messing with stuff, crap can happen. Heck a stock V8 can and will drop dead from abuse or rough play.

Finally, drop the idea of a supercharger or turbo. It isn't going to happen anytime soon. Not on a minimum wage budget by any means. Save your money for college. Drive what you have to to get through then you can have fun. Pissing away all of your money in high school on a car that odds are you either won't own 5 years down the road or won't last 5 years is a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What...

A 4.6L with full bolt-ons is lucky to hit 300rwhp.
From what I can see even 300 is out of reach without a PI swap cams and all bolt ons.

What he keeps spouting is kinda outlandish but he is from Canada.

R

·
0 Posts
From what I can see even 300 is out of reach without a PI swap cams and all bolt ons.

What he keeps spouting is kinda outlandish but he is from Canada.
I was referring to a PI car. But, yah you are never going to see 300 out of a non-PI car. A PI swapped car might be able to do it with the extra compression they get. Not exactly worthwhile.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Whatever, if your going to convince this guy that his v6 twin turbo idea is going to be cheaper then w.e

If your going to tell me that a 5.0L is harder to make streetable power then w.e

Do you honestly think 500+ hp is streetable?! Your talking about your cool little 600hp ***** v6's but for the price of all that work you could build a stroker that will make more power naturally aspirated. On a aftermarket block.

No one cares about rice.

No replacement for displacement, if you think turbo is a replacement stick one on displacement.... you cant beat it.

Its just easier to make power PERIOD.

You cant argue it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Whatever, if you think a twin turbo v6 is the way to go have fun with that.

As far as the comment made about me being Canadian, you guys seem alot more like asians then Americans with your rice talk.
Geeze why dont we get a little more sensitive.

Rice? How because you said it would take eleventy billion dollhairs to make a v6 faster and someone disagreed?

R

·
0 Posts
Whatever, if you think a twin turbo v6 is the way to go have fun with that.

As far as the comment made about me being Canadian, you guys seem alot more like asians then Americans with your rice talk.
I know at least three V6 cars on here that would stomp your V8's face into the ground.

No one said anything about twins. A single turbo is plenty good enough to reach 500-600hp. No need to complicate things with extra piping and more weight.

Here is one of those "ricers." Meet Project: Frostbite:
Jr testing.wmv - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNqV25A3yU&feature=related

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just bought a 98 4.6 gtwith no mods,i spent $700. on cold air kit gears , susp. ,and pulleys my car has about 260 hp at the crank and we put a 125 shot of nitros and the car runs high 8's in the eighth mile and still gets 16 miles to the gallon.it is plenty fast on the track and drives just fine to the grocery store
:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 171 Posts