Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new hear and I was just wondering about the actual Horsepower and Torque increases I would get from a few Minor Bolt On modifications to my 2004 v6 Convertible. It was bone stock until last night when me and my dad finally got the time to bolt in a new Cold Air Intake. I have been looking at this throttlebody, BBK 65mm Throttle Body (01-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I was wondering if the addition of that with my new cold air intake,
1999-2004 Ford Mustang V6 3.8 Cold Air Intake Kit - UPR Products,
from UPR will actually net me the 10-15 Horsepower advertised?

I was also considering adding a Cat Back Exhaust and again am wondering about how much actual Horsepower I should expect to gain?

One other thing i was looking into upgrading the rear differential gears, what would be the recommended size for my car?

Also what would be the best fuel injection upgrade to net the most Horsepower?

If anyone has any ideas or any suggestions to net me a bit more overall Horsepower I would greatly appreciate any Input. This is a Daily driver (well not yet, It will be in about 2 months when i get my official Drivers License) so please dont say add NOS since that is illegal here.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey guys, I am new hear and I was just wondering about the actual Horsepower and Torque increases I would get from a few Minor Bolt On modifications to my 2004 v6 Convertible. It was bone stock until last night when me and my dad finally got the time to bolt in a new Cold Air Intake. I have been looking at this throttlebody, BBK 65mm Throttle Body (01-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I was also considering adding a Cat Back Exhaust and again am wondering about how much actual Horsepower I should expect to gain?

One other thing i was looking into upgrading the rear differential gears, what would be the recommended size for my car?

If anyone has any ideas or any suggestions to net me a bit more overall Horsepower I would greatly appreciate any Input. This is a Daily driver (well not yet, It will be in about 2 months when i get my official Drivers License) so please dont say add NOS since that is illegal here.

Thanks Guys!
Well congrats on the first steps to the mod bug. Next the tb u have now is 65mm, so the bbk tb wont get you any hp. The only thing it will do is better your throttle response.
Gears will be a big boost to you. Not in terms of hp, but acceleration. If you do a lot of highway driving 410s might be too much. I had 373s in my car when it was fairly stock and they were awesome.
Another thing, injectors arent gonna net you hp!
How much are you looking to spend? Ported heads and intakes, and a cam will really wake that car up. Its expensive, then of course you need a tune. Do you have a handheld tuner?
Hope this helps and there are some good sites to look at as far as performance parts. If you are serious about some port work, pm me or my father (shinerstang) we can hook u right up

·
Registered
910 Posts

Thanks Guys!
Its the tune more than the cai which accounts for most of the gains associated the air induction mod. Fuel injectors and throttle body are supporting mods. Leave them stock unless you first get enough additional air to flow to require additional fuel. Forced induction for example. The biggest exhaust gain is to swap the stock muffler with a GT muffler (at least on the S197 type). Easy and cheep. Dual Exhaust if you like the look and sound but the increase over the afore mentioned will be marginal. For gears... find a gear calculator spread sheet and play what if. Faster off the line comes at a cost of more shifting and less Highway fuel economy. See what the different gear choices do to your shift points. Also consider future mods. Is Forced Induction in your future plans? Above all, do what makes sense to you for your needs and resist seeking the approval of your peers. Its your car and your wallet after all.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
nope.. the throttle body will not gain you anything..

it depends on what design of exhaust you're planning on putting on.. a bolt-on cat-back is not gonna gain you very much at all but getting true duals will get you a more noticeable boost..

since you have a V6, it has a 7.5 inch rear end for the 7.5 rear, you can get either 3.73 or 4.10 gears.. those numbers are the ratio.. 3.73 are recommended for manuals and 4.10s are recommended for automatic cars. if you do anything to the rear end, you want to get a t-lok (limited slip differential) at the same time, you'll love the feeling of both wheels planting power to the ground

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx guys for the suggestions and the help, lol since i haven't been able to find a job yet and i dont get my license for 2 months im probably gonna wait on the big time engine mods...that and the fact that my dad wont help me mod the engines since he says if it works why mess with it. I thing ill hold of on the throttlebody then since it is almost $300 and just pay a muffler shop to weld on a set of catback exausts! And also thnx for the help wiith gears I think ill go with the 4.10's even tho its a daily driver!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depending on your future mods, Check around with local bone yards to see if you can find a wrecked GT you can get the rearend out of. The same bodystyle car will have the same bolt in rearend. And as just found out myself, the brakes are the same, so its interchangable with the stock wheels! Through resaerch, ive found its a bit cheaper for the 8.8 parts versus the 7.5's, and itll hold the power if you plan on a superchrger or turbo!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anyone know how big the throttle body is in a 98 and if it'll gain anything worth while? I've also been wondering whether or not to buy that tb from american muscle..

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
read the first line of my above post

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Anyone know how big the throttle body is in a 98 and if it'll gain anything worth while? I've also been wondering whether or not to buy that tb from american muscle..
56mm, same as the BBK one... and like Mark said, no hp gain - only a throttle response. (wikipedia will explain throttle response.)
pullies are great and only 250 for a set. 15rwhp

better gas mileage too!

and catback w/ midpipe rocks
I really don't think UDPs give you that much - but they do help. :bigthumbsup But don't use them if you have plan on a high-end stereo...

A catback is after the midpipe... so it can't come with it. Unless you meant a full exhaust (midpipe and catback) -- then you are correct. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
56mm, same as the BBK one... and like Mark said, no hp gain - only a throttle response. (wikipedia will explain throttle response.)
Alright thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Pulleys might net you 2-3rwhp at the most. Those numbers are pushing it as it is.

I have a true duals, a CAI, gears, and a BamaChips 91+ tune in my car. All together I might have gained 15rwhp. The gears however were the best bang for the buck. Gears, T-Lok and install ran me $700.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys thanks for all the help, unfortunately i have decided not to mod this v6 anymore since i just purchased a 95 v8 GT 5.0HO for 3 grand and will be modding the &*%^ out of it!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Fine... Traitor!! haha - j/k :shigrin We've lost another one to the V8 crowd. Oh well, good luck and have fun with your new toy!!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol

Fine... Traitor!! haha - j/k :shigrin We've lost another one to the V8 crowd. Oh well, good luck and have fun with your new toy!!! :bigthumbsup
lol. actually the new one was a P.O.S with way too many issues so we traded it for an 03 V6, if i ever get another V8 it will be a cobra or mach one in the 99-04 year range :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and holy crap guys exaust makes a world of difference...i just dropped a CAI from american muscle into the 03 on sunday and had true duals with flowmaster 44's put on today and it is freaking nice, thanks again for all the help guys!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Engine Mods + Exhaust + SCT= 20HP (many variables)
20HP is a huge gain when looking at it as a total percentage.
What you get with each bolt-on mod is drive ability improvements.
They are all worth it if you plan to have them all. They each do a little but all together its worth the time. I did it this way:
1)Exhaust-
2)CAI+UD Pulleys-
3)BBK TB
4)SD Coil+MPG Wires
5)SCT dyno tuned
:grinroll:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
put some headers on it as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah im still trying to find some gt40 heads of an expedition and put those in lol, for now tho im good on the engine mod department but thanks guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.