Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car is being built right now, what is being done differently than a year ago?

Bolts? Fluids? Control arms/bushings? Other components?

Many thanks for those who know!

Brian

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't think it really matters since a few 2012 owners are still reporting squeaky suspension, tranny problems etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For sure, the clutch assembly is different. They were having problems with the old one, where it could fall to the floor and stay there. There were also problems where pressure plate bolts could back out. They had a fix for that, which I assume is now present in the 2012's.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't think it really matters since a few 2012 owners are still reporting squeaky suspension, tranny problems etc.
Might be best to let the 2012 owners speak to that point instead of trying to stir up more negatives.

I don't know the specifics to the OP's question but I can tell you my 2012 was perfect at delivery... not a single squeak, rattle, finish issue, nor quirk to be found anywhere.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Might be best to let the 2012 owners speak to that point instead of trying to stir up more negatives.

I don't know the specifics to the OP's question but I can tell you my 2012 was perfect at delivery... not a single squeak, rattle, finish issue, nor quirk to be found anywhere.
+1!

My 2012 was the same way; picked up around May 1st and all is good... :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Good idea!

My 2012 hasn't had any engine tick or squeaky suspension but I have encountered the dreaded 2nd and 3rd gear grinding at lower temperatures (below 60F). Also of note my engine is using a little oil on break-in. Nothing alarming but I would hope that it's just a break-in thing and the engine permanently an oil burner. I enjoy the car but I am nervous of how it's going to behave in the fall when temperatures up here start dropping.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My 2012 GT has the front suspension squeak, and it whines in all gears somewhere on the input side of the transmission (correlates to RPM, not speed), but neither issues are major enough for me to bother taking it in yet. I have about 4200 miles on mine.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Delivered 5 May my 12 GT is problem free @ 750 miles. The only issue was the dealer (I assume) forgot to put the locking lug nuts on the Brembo wheels. The locking lugs were in a plastic bag in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For sure, the clutch assembly is different. They were having problems with the old one, where it could fall to the floor and stay there. There were also problems where pressure plate bolts could back out. They had a fix for that, which I assume is now present in the 2012's.
link to TSB for pressure plate bolts? i don't think that affects all early builds, just some otherwise it would be a recall.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I hope my 2011 has some of the changes to 2012"s have as it was built the last week before the change over. I have had zero issues manically. I did have a paint problem on the rear bumper that the dealer removed and repainted flawlessly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks to those who answered my question. I don't want this to turn into another thread where people talk about what is right and wrong with their 5.0s, though.

It's a new car. If the issues aren't ironed out in the next, people have a right to be pissed. Just seeing what has been addressed.

All best,

B

·
Registered
646 Posts
Officially, I'm not aware any large changes were made. The clutch design was changed, but I'm unsure of the reason or what actually changed. Clutch pedal stayout was a pedal issue that only affected a very small number of early build 2011's. Most were built with the correct pedal.

I believe there were minor calibration updates, given the new TSB released for early 2011's. Many 2011's had that one too.

Trans issues, bushings, and the like still seem to be an issue on current production 2012's. With the exception of some minor rolling changes that occurred in 2011, there doesn't seem to be any major revisions, just some new colors and features.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Delivered 5 May my 12 GT is problem free @ 750 miles. The only issue was the dealer (I assume) forgot to put the locking lug nuts on the Brembo wheels. The locking lugs were in a plastic bag in the trunk.
My dealer left mine out too, but that's because I'm pretty sure everybody thinks they're f***ing annoying. I'm quite happy they didn't bother installing them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Recalls are only for safety-related issues.

The bulletin for pressure plate bolts only applies to pre-11/2010 builds.
seems to be an intermittent problem, not all pre-11/2010 builds have this issue; same with clutch pedal stayout.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have a 2012 issues shifting gears, very notchy. issue with exhaust since ive had it, makes a tin noise when rp,s fall.. other stuff too.. im not saying its a bad car, its a great car that potentially can have a few issues like any other

G

·
0 Posts
and it whines in all gears somewhere on the input side of the transmission (correlates to RPM, not speed),
Can you confirm the whine persists in 5th gear as well? That would be a helpful bit of diagnostic info as that would point toward the countershaft because 5th is 1:1 direct.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Doing fine here. 2000 miles on her. Only modification is JHR shifter bracket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.