Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i think that paying an extra 5grand for a convertible is a tad much, so i started looking, and all of these are less than 5 grand. i like the CDC glassback, but i also like jms targa, and the OEM moonroof is just cheap and simple. what are your opinions, and can anyone give feedback about the companies customer service? aside from cdc..they are just great

http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/
Classic Design Concepts - Home
Inalfa Sunroofs for cars - car accessories aftermarket - Sunroof, Moonroofs, Power sunroofs, American sunroof, Automobile sunroofs, Aftermarket sunroof, Moonroof, Car sunroofs, Asc sunroofs, Automotive sunroofs, Electric sunroofs, Auto sunroof, Sunro

Attachments

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
CDC has excellent customer service. I assume that you are going to have a shop do the install. I'm not sure how much they would charge to do the roof mod, but I don't think it will be cheap. I like the looks of the targa....it's different. I think the moonroof is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the moonroof was in both mustang magazines for OEM quality fit and finish, and its powered, not manual..retracts into the roof, not above it..i liked that aspect of it in case i had to sell later down the road.. i like the targa, but i think it would have problems with leaking. i love the glassback, but im not sure where to go to do the install. does CDC install them if you ship the car to them?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
the moonroof was in both mustang magazines for OEM quality fit and finish, and its powered, not manual..retracts into the roof, not above it..i liked that aspect of it in case i had to sell later down the road.. i like the targa, but i think it would have problems with leaking. i love the glassback, but im not sure where to go to do the install. does CDC install them if you ship the car to them?
CDC does not install them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is a company in the Kansas City area that installs the glass tops (they are also making a "twister" version). Our local pres. had his done about a month ago. Two - three days for the install. Nice, professional work. No scratches or mars anywhere. It raised the roof line a little. They install moldings across the front and on both sides to hide the increase in height, not sure about the back. His car is black and it's hard to notice unless your standing next to it. Looks good, but not my choice. I think they charge close to 5K.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bill at Automotive Accents(410-636-4622)in Maryland has installed several for Ford dealer in Towson,Md.You have to go to certified dealer.They don.t sell to car owner.I've seen them and they look like they came that way from factory.All the ones done sold quickly.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
glassback roof

You would be better off buying it from the Ford dealer in 2009 when it becomes a 1,995 option for the mustang

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have never seen the targa before, and i like the idea but i don't know if i'im sold on the looks. I also don't like the idea of cutting the two rail, it seems like alot of rigidity would be lost in that. IMHO I think the glass top CDC roof is the nicest of the three.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I like the looks of the targa....it's different. The moonroof is a waste of money.
I have never seen the targa before, and I like the idea but I don't like the idea of cutting the two rail, it seems like alot of rigidity would be lost in that. I think the glass top roof is the nicest of the three.
You would be better off buying the glassback roof from the Ford dealer in 2009 when it becomes a $1,995 option for the Mustang.
I don't like any sunroofs or moonroofs. So much so that if either came as standard equipment on a car it would prevent me from even considering that car.

The unique targa roof would compromise the body structure of the coupe. Would have to weld heavy reinforcements underneath to compensate. Only see the targa as suitable for someone who wants their car to stand out at frequent car shows (same appeal as the vertical door modification).

Glassback roof will also help a car stand out at shows, at least until you start seeing them everywhere and they lose the novelty factor. But I agree with hotshot that the best way to do the glassback is to order it as a factory option on a new 2009+ Mustang. And if anyone is considering that, they should probably wait for the Mustang's 2010 restyle. That way they'd draw a lot of attention for the car's revised-but-still-retro styling and the glassback roof.

·
Registered
816 Posts
One thing to consider with that moonroof is the loss of headroom. I would think you would lose a minimum of 3 inches of headroom with a power roof that slides INSIDE the car. I had a power roof on my '87 GT that slid on top of the car. No loss of headroom and it provided a much larger opening than the one that did not go over the top. I barely had much headroom in that '87 to start with, so my choice was a no-brainer. I now have plenty of headroom with my '05 GTs top up or down. ;)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
... i like the CDC glassback, but i also like jms targa, and the OEM moonroof is just cheap and simple. what are your opinions, ... http://www.inalfasunroofs.com/
I love a targa roof. Next best thing to a convertible. If Ford offered that on the Mustang from the factory I'd have a tough time deciding between the two. GM has been offering it with the Vette for years. My friend's '84 Vette came with it from the factory. Another of my friends has an '85 911 Targa. I think they're great.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i like the targa because it reminded me of the fox-bodied t-tops..those were just sweet. i didnt realize i would lose headroom with the moonroof. im 6' 7" and need all the headroom i can find (thats the main reason i bought a s197 instead of building another fox). i read in 5.0magazine that ford is offering a glass roof similar to the cdc for 09, so i might just do a trade in. seems like a lot less work, and since both of mine are in stock trim at the moment, i wont have to worry about losing any mods.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Which roof mod is best?

None.

I'll take a hard top over my head and the bitchin 'fastback' roof profile of the coupe over the 'coupe' look of a convertible any day. And i'll have mine with no holes in it please.

Funny that they call the coupe a coupe. I think the coupe looks more like the older fastbacks and the convertible has the profile of the older coupes.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I like this the best, and it is engineered
for it...................

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
if ford had offered a targa top or retractable hardtop vert, i would have bought it in a heartbeat. sunroof, absolutely not, either factory or aftermarket, this is a mustang not a Lexus. aftermarket targa top, uh, no, there is no way i would do that to my car. rag top verts IMHO are a PITA and i would never have one. coupe is the way to go, however, if someone in OK could install the CDC glassback in my car and be reasonable on the price, id be whipping out my Visa card faster than my 4.6 3v will rev up....:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I love my coupe, and would never change the top. The hard top is just stronger. For those who have a desire for the glass...I agree with other members, and say get it factory from ford.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.