Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure what to do. I have a non original 302 that from what I can tell is out of a 79 LTD (D90E6015E3A). I have a 4 speed that I believe is original. Do I get a manual or automatic starter? I doubt the LTD came with a manual haha.

I know the starter needs to match up to the flywheel. Would that be an automatic in my case? The starter now is for an auto but I am having issues and was hoping going to a manual would help things.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think you need a starter for a manual trans, and you did not say what year your car was, that is probably the year of the flywheel and the year you should buy a starter for, I not sure that there is that much difference in the starters, but there are 3 different starter drives for them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you need a starter for a manual trans, and you did not say what year your car was, that is probably the year of the flywheel and the year you should buy a starter for, I not sure that there is that much difference in the starters, but there are 3 different starter drives for them. Good Luck.

Sorry let me give more detail. I own a 66 with a 79 302. I bought a starter for a 68 (wasn't sure of blocks year) and the 68 does not fit. The starter for a 79 has a different part number apparently. I want to return today the starter I bought and buy one for a 79 but I'm not sure if it should be for a manual or automatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts