Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking alot the past couple of days at superchargers for my 02 GT and there are so many to choose from. I love what I have read about the kenne bell twin screw. I have also looked at the paxton and vortech superchargers. Anyone have any input on the best supercharger for the buck and is strengthening the bottom end required.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Depends on whether you want a 1/4 mile ground pounder or a low RPM stump puller. Any positive displacement blower will give better low end. Centrifugal will give higher peak power and higher RPM performance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first the bottom end will be left stock, due to the fact that the car is an everyday driver and the lack of funds. So I am looking for something to produce a flatter torque and HP curve than a centrifugal one.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you're looking for a flat torque curve, definitely positive displacement is the way to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you decide to get a blower like the Vortec on Paxton check out the ATI Procharger P1SC kits. They come with a 2 or 3 core intercooler at no extra charge. At the same psi as the other kits most of the time the ATI will make more power. Plus with the intercooler you can run more boost than the other kits without running race fuel. A P1SC 3 core kit for my 97 GT is $3695.00 shipped to my door. All you need to complete the kit is 42#inj and a Lightning MAF which cost 399.00. Just check and see what the aftercooler kit adds to the cost of the Vortec.

·
Registered
701 Posts
BlueStreak is right. If you really want to have low rpm boost and therefore low rpm torque/HP you definitely want to get a positive displacement style SC.

There is 2 sucessful styles offered for mustangs:
- The old fashionned roots style blower (very good for Low RPM boost)
Manufacturers: Eaton size M90 or M112
- The twin screws, also good for low RPM boost - they are more efficient than the roots style (less heat)
Manufacturers: Kenne Bell, Whipple

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
As with anything when it comes to the car, it's all a choice and with that choice comes give and take. Especially with smaller displacement motors. Either high end or low end, unless you feel like droppin serioud cash on a serious motor. I prefer low RPM power so I don't have to downshift to get power.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jokers97GT said:
If you decide to get a blower like the Vortec on Paxton check out the ATI Procharger P1SC kits. They come with a 2 or 3 core intercooler at no extra charge. At the same psi as the other kits most of the time the ATI will make more power. Plus with the intercooler you can run more boost than the other kits without running race fuel. A P1SC 3 core kit for my 97 GT is $3695.00 shipped to my door. All you need to complete the kit is 42#inj and a Lightning MAF which cost 399.00. Just check and see what the aftercooler kit adds to the cost of the Vortec.
The intercooler actually does cost extra if you figure the procharger is the same price if not a little more than other centri's but procharger does not come as a complete package (ie. injectors,maf,pump). You have to buy those on top of a S/C

As stated above. if you want a flat torque curve get the KB if you go with a centri get a vortech (more cfm than paxton).

However don't go with the KB if you think it's going to be easier on your car than a centri. All that torque down low is harder on your car and a little more difficult to tune. Not trying to scare you out of a KB, that's my choice as well. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Underw0rld said:
The intercooler actually does cost extra if you figure the procharger is the same price if not a little more than other centri's but procharger does not come as a complete package (ie. injectors,maf,pump). You have to buy those on top of a S/C

As stated above. if you want a flat torque curve get the KB if you go with a centri get a vortech (more cfm than paxton).

However don't go with the KB if you think it's going to be easier on your car than a centri. All that torque down low is harder on your car and a little more difficult to tune. Not trying to scare you out of a KB, that's my choice as well. :cool:
ATI kits comes with the fuel pump. It is a inline pump not a intank pump. The reason these kits don't come with MAF & inj. is they don't know how much boost the customer is going to use. The Vortec kit for my car is 3400.00 for a 6-8 psi kit HO kit. When you figure in their Aftercooler kit (additional 1200.00+) the ATI kit shines. If I was going with a positive displacement blower then the KB kit would be the best purchase. It will make alot more power than the Eaton blowers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dude, go Kenne Bell. Thats what I've got HANDS DOWN the best kit. If your running the kenne bell at 9 PSI intercooled you'll have 7.5 PSI at idle compared to 1.5 PSI with a centrifigul charger such as the Vortech or the Procharger. the twinscrew design means more PSI with less efort which means less paracidical loss which means more power. yet another reason to go kenne bell is NO TAPPING the oil pan it's totally self-contained. The kenne bell is by far the best.

1998 mustang GT
Kenne Bell S/C 9 PSI Intercooled
390 RWHP NO PI HEADS
400 ft-lbs torque

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kenne rocks! I wouldnt go with anything else!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Check out my gallery and look at the dyno graph of before and after blower numbers and you can see the difference for yourself. Boost builds quick fast and in a hurry with the KB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.