Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a timing cover to convert my EFI 302 to carbureted with mechanical fuel pump. Is there one that will allow me to keep the serpentine belt system? I have seen it brought up that you cannot have a mechanical fuel pump timing cover and still run serpentine pulley/belt. Or is there an aftermarket option for serpentine pulleys with that style timing cover? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I notice the current cover has the place to mount a pump, with a flange and drilled ans tapped holes, but the passage is casted over. Could I simply grind the hole open? Would that align correctly with the camshaft and the eccentric drive? I've never dealt with this before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 83 mustang came with a mechanical pump and serpentine belt system.
Figured it was an easy question, I just couldn't find it through a search or google. Thanks a bunch. So if I find a '83 cover and the correct eccentric I should be set? This is an '85 block, but has an aftermarket cam, so I'm not even sure if the cam accepts the eccentric drive, though I would imagine most do, if not all. It's a Howards camshaft. This block is also bare, so no pulleys either. I guess any pulleys that are serpentine and compatible with an '83 should work on this setup.

Also, searching for parts, the timing covers are listed either as '83'-'89 or '83-'93. So was the claim of not being able to run serpentine belts false?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know, thanks. You're running a mechanical fuel pump? I was actually just looking at this same one a minute ago. Also, will an '85 timing chain gear accept an eccentric, if so, a one or two piece? I've read that some years do not. This build is really making me do a lot of reading and leg work to throw this hybrid 302 together. Thanks again.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes you can get one at the local autozone. You could just keep the timing cover you have and the electric fuel pump. You would just need a fuel pressure regulator to turn down the gas pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you can get one at the local autozone. You could just keep the timing cover you have and the electric fuel pump. You would just need a fuel pressure regulator to turn down the gas pressure.
Thats the thing, the car it's going in has no fuel pump currently, and no wiring for a pump. So I would have to do all of the wiring from scratch. To me less wiring is more appealing, so going the mechanical route I like much more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got around to pulling off the front cover today and was surprised to find an eccentric already on the cam sprocket. So I guess I am only a $50 front cover away from having my mechanical fuel system setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And also, I don't understand why I can't simply open up the casting that is over the fuel pump area and use the existing cover. It has the flange, and threaded holes, but the entry into the inside of the cover is casted over. Is that not possible? Seems like I have had several people tell me it won't work, but no one has ever told me why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts