Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I plan on getting tires by the end of the summer and was wondering which tires everyone here recommends. Not looking to spend more than say $200-$220 per tire. The Pirelli p zero nero zr I have now are around $179 each to replace and I really liked them. I know a ton of people here like Nitto tires.

These will be for fun on the streets, I may go to the track once or twice over the car's life.

Want something that will be nice for takeoffs and grip the road great while still able to drive in the rain no problems.

I have 17inch rims. And I live in Chicago and will be driving this car in the winter:hihi: However I was thinking of getting two snow tires for the winter.

What would you suggest?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had NITTO XR 555 for about 5 years - the rears lasted about 31,000 and just replaced the fronts with 36,000 miles and have found them to be great all-around tires, wet or dry...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey all. I plan on getting tires by the end of the summer and was wondering which tires everyone here recommends. Not looking to spend more than say $200-$220 per tire. The Pirelli p zero nero zr I have now are around $179 each to replace and I really liked them. I know a ton of people here like Nitto tires.

These will be for fun on the streets, I may go to the track once or twice over the car's life.

Want something that will be nice for takeoffs and grip the road great while still able to drive in the rain no problems.

I have 17inch rims. And I live in Chicago and will be driving this car in the winter:hihi: However I was thinking of getting two snow tires for the winter.

What would you suggest?
I have used Continental Extreme Contact DW ( dry/wet) and have been very happy with their grip in wet and dry conditions. They are also very quiet. My son had the same tire as you and he switched to Continentals and liked them better.

As far as snow is concerned, there is nothing but snow tires that are good in snow. And you need four of them, not two. Acceleration is not the issue in snow, control is and 2 different pairs of tires will not grip the same and in slippery cold conditions, your ability to brake safely is severely compromised with different tires...they lock at different braking pressures, preventing your from steering with any control.

I like Blizzaks for snow and have been quite surprised with their grip in very snowy weather.

I live north of Toronto, Ontario and there is snow from November to March.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have Nitto NT555s and I love them. You can't go wrong with Nitto

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Nitto NT555s and I love them. You can't go wrong with Nitto
I see a lot agree with you. Do they have them for 17inch rims? How expensive are they compared with other performance brands? And I assume they are Z rated?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow only $144 each tire! That's a lot cheaper than I thought they'd be. I think I may give those a try. Thanks GTstang08:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
not exactly sure of your size but i have worked at sears auto center for 2 years and put on a lot of tires. i would really recommend you look at the michellin pilot sport a/s. good wearing tire sheads water really nice and is a high performance tire

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 for the Nitto 555s. That's all i 've used and they are great dry and wet but I'm not sure about snow.
They would be as hard as a hockey puck in the snow and would provide absolutely now traction. Similar tires on a friends stang slid down an inclined driveway when the vehicle was left in Park with the ebrake on.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Hey Chris -- this might be a good opportunity for you to look at tires and WHEELS. I'm pretty sure there are still some great deals availale on GT500 take-offs with near-new tires and TPMS sensors for under $1,000 ; you might try a few searches on e-bay and take-off parts places

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Nitto555s are better than I thought they'd be. GReat grip(I'm running at 471rwhp). But slightly louder on the highway over the stockers.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Hmm I was going to be all over the Nittos until you guys started talking about the snow. My car will definitely see some snow, but I won't use it when it's crazy bad.

Jbert. I really cant stand the gt500 take off wheels tbh:shigrin. I like having the 17inch rims too. Wouldn't want anything bigger than an 18 maybe.

I am thinking about buying a used set of rims for some snow tires though. Someone is selling the stock GT rims for like $100 on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would jump all over those rims just to have a winter set of tires on them. Then you could get whatever kind of tire you wanted in the summer, and then get a set of winter tires mounted on your extra rims for the snow. That's what I plan to do eventually. And $100 for a set of rims doesn't sound bad at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts