Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering which tuner I should go with? I'm interested in the SCT XCalibrator 2 or the Diablo sport. They are close on price and seem to do the same things. Which ones do you guys have and how do you like them. For right now, I'm only getting it to shut off my rear o2 sensors since I'm getting an o/r h-pipe. I know I can order them with additional tunes so when I add other bolt ons I can change the tune. Thanks in anvance.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Tough call! I don't really have any reason for going with Diablosport, I guess I just had the opportunity to buy a used one at a good price, thanks again 87. The Predator's performance tune will do fine for just about all the bolt-on's you could do, plus you get the added bonus of shutting of the rear O2's and adjusting the speedo for gears, but then again, so does the SCT. SCT has a great reputation, and it seems most performance shops supprt their tuners if you plan on going that route. My suggestion is look for a used one (as long as it has been unmarried to the previous vehicle) at a good price. Good Luck!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought my SCT... The reason I did buy it was because it was originally for my 05 V6 Mustang, and Diablo didn't produce one yet... but when I got my GT I was able to just switch it over... I have drivin cars with the diablosport chip, and I will say I prefer the SCT to the chip.. dunno how much differance there is between the sportchip and the diablo tuner...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. If I buy a used tuner, how do I get a specific tune from the company on the actual hand held tuner and then be able to load it in my car? I'm still new to the whole tuner scene and what can be done and how. Thanks again.:worship

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You have to download the software from the company and use a cable to connect it to your computer. You download it from your email or directly from the company and load it to the tuner then into the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your help. I've got some time before I get my car out of hibernation. I'm definitly going to get one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
You have to download the software from the company and use a cable to connect it to your computer. You download it from your email or directly from the company and load it to the tuner then into the car.
Because I'm a little lazy right now, and I need to spend some time with the wife and kids before the UFC Fights tonight, I don't want to do any research right now. But it sounds to me like I buy the tuner for around $400 new- THEN I have to buy the software too?? How much is the software? Or is it included with the purchase price of the handheld tuner?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The software is a free download from DiabloSport. I can't speak for the SCT software though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The SCT software is also free. Another cool feature of the SCT is the real time data logging. You just hook your laptop up to your tuner, tuner to the car then do some runs. It will monitor tons of stuff (Stuff I have no idea what is) But from this you can change your tune to correct issues. It will display the data in gauge form and then saves it as a graph. I just got an SCT tuner and it is really cool. Although the tune that my shop loaded for 87 was a little high on the timing side and is causing detonation (I just need to tweek it at bit), but the tune for the high octane is superb. I have yet to do any datalogging but it seems easy enough, just download the free software and hook it up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Another thing to consider is what your local dyno shop is familiar with. If you go get your car dyno'd and they know something about the tuner you have, they will probably help you with changing some settings for better performance. ('course they'd rather have you buy a custom tune....)

I know, cause my Dyno shop knows SCT, and I have a Predator. :(

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
THe Predator will data log also. I agree with Larry on this one. Check and see what tuner software your shop uses and get that. I didn't do this and had to find another tuner who is a lot further away from my house. However, I did wind up in good hands in the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.