Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is likely going to be a heated debate, but I'm going to ask anyway. Which is the best chip/reflasher system out there and why? I realize it depends upon one's goal, so I imagine there probably isn't one that's best for everyone. All you folks out there who have had good and bad experiences with aftermarket tunes please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought the sct xcal2. My reasoning was that it seemed to offer more end-user adjustability, and I like the datalog capability. I've been very happy so far. The one downside is that there seem to be fewer shops overall that work with SCT than diablo. The only dynotuner local to me is a Diablo affiliate, but i'm willing to do the extra work to datalog and work over email with a good tuner when the time comes.

I think mostly it comes down to the relationship you have with the people tuning your car. If you find guys you can trust, go with the system they're using.

·
Registered
829 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I bought the sct xcal2. My reasoning was that it seemed to offer more end-user adjustability, and I like the datalog capability. I've been very happy so far. The one downside is that there seem to be fewer shops overall that work with SCT than diablo. The only dynotuner local to me is a Diablo affiliate, but i'm willing to do the extra work to datalog and work over email with a good tuner when the time comes.

I think mostly it comes down to the relationship you have with the people tuning your car. If you find guys you can trust, go with the system they're using.
Diablo Predator datalogs up to 90 minutes. I am surprised that it is not widlely known here that it does. I have two because I like them. But I think the two (Xcal and Diablo) are capable of the same thing only difference I see really is that the Predator has a much larger screen.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think the feeling is the SCT does a better job with automatics, which doesn't apply to you... Around here I think the shops are more evenly distributed between SCT and Diablo... For me there was 2 reasons to go with SCT.

1) Diablo took forever to get the V6 version out...
2) Research and references told me I wanted to work with Alternative Auto which is an SCT shop...

·
Registered
897 Posts
All the above posts are correct.
For automatics the X-Cal II wins hands down.
If you want to turn off the traction control or the rear O2 sensors the X-Cal II wins again.

Support of a local tuner is important.

With all that said I have a Diablosport Predator for my 5 Speed and I love it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Get the one your shop uses! Up here most sell and use the X-Cal which seems to be the professional tuners (and racers) choise since it has a few more and more presice/deeper tuning options.

For the average Joe I think the Diablo is easier to use and sufficient... but I'd go with the X-Cal anyways... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ok, stupid question.... keep in mind i havent modified a computer controlled car since i had my 88 s-10, at which time moding the ecm was as simple as unplugging the flash chip and inserting another one from hypertech... i do understand that todays cars are re-flashed with a tuner that basically loads a program onto the cars computer that the computer uses to control the engine, trans, etc, etc, etc....

that said....

Question: what the hell is datalogging anyway and why is that important?:eyebulge:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
GTNOS said:
ok, stupid question.... keep in mind i havent modified a computer controlled car since i had my 88 s-10, at which time moding the ecm was as simple as unplugging the flash chip and inserting another one from hypertech... i do understand that todays cars are re-flashed with a tuner that basically loads a program onto the cars computer that the computer uses to control the engine, trans, etc, etc, etc....

that said....

Question: what the hell is datalogging anyway and why is that important?:eyebulge:
datalogging is the window into the car's computer so you can see what the heck is going on...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Yea, it enables you to read error codes if you're unlucky enough to get a CEL... it can also be used for seeing what's going on, as mentioned above, what does the computer do to your timing, fuel flow, etc. You can also check temps, preassures, and more... it logs, reads and displays the data the computer is working with from all the sensors in your car...

·
Registered
622 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Yea, it enables you to read error codes if you're unlucky enough to get a CEL... it can also be used for seeing what's going on, as mentioned above, what does the computer do to your timing, fuel flow, etc. You can also check temps, preassures, and more... it logs, reads and displays the data the computer is working with from all the sensors in your car...
does it keep the log in memory so that it can be downloaded to a PC at a later time? And will it track top speed - cuz it's difficult to be precise, especially for those of you that can wrap the speedo.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i think i see, so it basically allows you to watch your computer work so you can see how the installed tune is operating, so problem can be isolated and improvements made? sounds cool to me:cool: the SCT seems to do more of that than the diablo from what i have read.... :worship X-Cal2 is what im thinking...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Yes, you can get software and and move the infor from the tuner to your PC and see all perimeters on the 'big' screen, more than you believe, understand and would ever wanna touch! On that note; you can also make changes there if you get the tuner software and move it to your tuner and then to your car...

Again, I think the STC is the way to go if you wanna be and get more involved... With the software you can also drive around with a friend (professional tuner?) reading what's going on on a laptop while driving!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
GTNOS said:
Data logging is one of the reasons for this crazy setup, as well as programming nitrous delivery. As you can see I'm a Predator guy.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts