Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I gotta agree with Mark. Pumps are so cheap new that it is worth changing it out specially if you have no idea how long it's been in there.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
+3 If you have it apart just do the pump while in there. With the coolant drained it's also a good time to replace the T-stat as well.

Use the Fel-pro gasket. It's standard one for the 87-93 5.0 and all the auto stores or online parts places will sell it.

Some words of advice, it you put a wrench on the bolt and have to start reaping on it, STOP! You will break bolts. Get a bottle of MAPP gas or propane (like $35 bucks at HD or Lowes) and heat the bolts and they will come right out. The bolts only get torqued on with 15 ft-lbs of torque. Replacing the stud bolts that hold on the A/C bracket are not cheap if you snap them:winks

·
Registered
213 Posts
gaskets

plate to block goes between water pump and timing cover- plate to pump is sandwiched by the water pump. When you pull the water pump off of the timing cover, look at the backside of the pump and you will see two bolts. pull those bolts backing plate of the pump will come off. This is where you would put the plate to pump gasket.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I would just throw on a new pump but its already got one of the nicer ford racing ones that the previous owner put on about 2 years ago, should be just fine. Ill probably give it some more years till i replace it since its not like a $25 one from autozone.

And +1 on the bolts, i hear alot about the bolts being week. Ill be sure to be extra careful :nervous. Hopefully they will come out easily since they were taken out about 2 years ago when the last owner put the pump on.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What the heck is that mesh stuff on top of your timing cover? Talk about a dirt trap.

Even with a 2 year old pump I would go with new. It's the time and hassle. You can get Ford Racing pumps for $60. That pump is a basic cast aluminum pump. I could understand if it was a shiny polished pump but it's not. Your call (and wallet).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts