Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming weekend I am painting my stock wheels gloss black. I'll also (eventually) be adding red caliper covers. I am looking to replace the wheel caps and so far have found these two. Actually I found a third one, by for some reason AM is compelled to charge $50 bucks each. Anyway, take a look at these and give me your opinions. Thanks

2005-2012 Mustang Wheel Spinners - Set of 4 - 2011-2012 Mustang Parts - Home for your Ford Mustang

2005-2012 Mustang Running Horse Center Caps - Set of 4 - 2011-2012 Mustang Parts - Home for your Ford Mustang

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I like the running ponies.

But if you plan to seriously track the car with those wheels, I wouldn't get any of the caps posted. Unless there have been advances, plastic caps like those are likely to soften and pop out. Rotor temps can exceed 1000 degrees and enough heat soaks into the centers of the wheels to do a number on most plastic caps.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like the running ponies.

But if you plan to seriously track the car with those wheels, I wouldn't get any of the caps posted. Unless there have been advances, plastic caps like those are likely to soften and pop out. Rotor temps can exceed 1000 degrees and enough heat soaks into the centers of the wheels to do a number on most plastic caps.
But isn't that running pony the same one we have on the PP wheels?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
But isn't that running pony the same one we have on the PP wheels?
Yep, and I would NOT track the car without removing those caps (and adding ducts).

Some tracks have less braking but I've lost factory plastic caps on GM vehicles and factory caps on custom HRE wheels that shipped with plastic caps because the metal ones were back ordered. I suspect other brands use pretty much the same kinds of plastic. I actually found one of the lost caps (well someone else did) and it did go back on although not as snug as before.

Just saying, I would get metal caps OR remove plastic caps for the track. For street it doesn't matter. You will never have the rotors at 1000 degrees long enough to soften the caps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Spinners, love the spinners....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Running horse, no spinners FTW :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Running Horses it is....my first choice as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts