Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Actually the 2011 V6s WILL be as fast as the 05-10 GTs. There is a video of a v6 racing a 2010 GT, and the GT won... but only by a car length. And you have to remember a few things:

1. A girl was driving
2. It was an automatic
3. It didn't have the 3:73 gears
4. No performance package

The 2010 GT's 0-60 is rated around 5.1-5.2 sec. The new v6 with the performance package is rated at 5.1 seconds.

So yes the 2011 v6 performance pack is just as fast as the 2010 GT, even better on corners. :smartass:

I take offense to the comment that a girl was driving...what type of comment is that? I am a 25 yr old female...who knows my cars and can smoke any man out there on the road or track! Not all women are bad at driving. Any time I race somebody..beat them...then roll down my dark tinted windows the man is always shocked that a female just beat them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I take offense to the comment that a girl was driving...what type of comment is that? I am a 25 yr old female...who knows my cars and can smoke any man out there on the road or track! Not all women are bad at driving. Any time I race somebody..beat them...then roll down my dark tinted windows the man is always shocked that a female just beat them.
So what? That's like saying you can't say "men are better at math than women" because there are some women out there who can beat 99.8% of men at math.

That doesn't change the truth as applied to statistics/populations. I'm a 6'1" asian. That doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that I would "take offense" if someone told me "white people are taller than asian people". It would be a truth. The fact there are exceptions to the rule is already understood by most cogent adults.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Now THAT is changing a thread in the middle! Now it's males vs females!

·
Registered
901 Posts
You should buy an 05-09 GT! They are awesome, and speak of the devil I happen to know where one is for sale!

·
Registered
303 Posts
So what? That's like saying you can't say "men are better at math than women" because there are some women out there who can beat 99.8% of men at math.

That doesn't change the truth as applied to statistics/populations. I'm a 6'1" asian. That doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that I would "take offense" if someone told me "white people are taller than asian people". It would be a truth. The fact there are exceptions to the rule is already understood by most cogent adults.
My comment was to point out that there are exceptions to the rule that girls don't know how to drive. It seemed to me that he was stating that because she's a girl she doesn't know how to race a car. From the video I am assuming that she's an enthusiast and that she knows how to race.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My comment was to point out that there are exceptions to the rule that girls don't know how to drive. It seemed to me that he was stating that because she's a girl she doesn't know how to race a car. From the video I am assuming that she's an enthusiast and that she knows how to race.
I think we should all be able to assume it wouldn't matter whether its a girl or a guy. We're talking about an Automatic V6! All anyone would have to do is step on the gas and drive straight. I kind of have the feeling the V6 Stang is not going to break em loose switching to third gear and be sliding all over the road. All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who's driving!

As far as stereotypes are concerned.. The reason they exist is because they are generally true. Typically women aren't car enthusiasts and spend a lot of time roasting the tires like many men do. Doesn't mean they can't be, take a look at Danica Patrick and Ashley Force. People should not take offense to stereotypes unless the way they were delivered was meant to be offensive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would definitely go for the GT because no matter how many mods are made to the '11 V6 it still will not sound as good as a stock '05-'10 GT. If you decided to do engine, gear, chassis, and suspension modifications to a '05-'10 GT then it will definitely beat other GT's.
If you don't have the cash to spare to get the new 5.0 then get one of those '10 GT's because you will definitely be able to swap out parts from the '11 (if you're even wanting to modify the engine).
If you are looking for better fuel economy then get that '11 V6 because no mustang has ever been able to get such great fuel economy and have that much horsepower.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Been tossing around the idea of getting another Mustang for awhile now. Up until this year I'd pretty much decided that I'd be getting a GT - a used one for reasons of affordability.

Now here comes the 2011 V6 with similar horsepower to the last GT for about the same price as a used GT around here.

So now, really the only argument for a used GT for me is that I've always been a fan of the V8 rumble, but it's getting hard to justify buying a used (probably abused) GT for the same price and similar performance of a brand spankin' new never-beaten-on V6 just for the engine sound.

What would you do?

I literally was pondering the same exact thing as you my friend.

I bought the V6 w/ 3:31, it is quick enough for me and handles great, I love it! It does not have the rumble of the V8, though it doesn't sound to bad for a sixer.

My plan is to possibly trade it in, in 5 yrs or so for a 2011-12 5.0. But to me the savings on insurance, payment and gas works for me right now. Good luck on your decision, let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're nuts. The 05-09's look absolutely dated and blocky compared to the 2010+'s.

Everyone has different taste. I ordered a 2011, but I'll keep my 2006 because I like the looks just a little better.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You're nuts. The 05-09's look absolutely dated and blocky compared to the 2010+'s.
I agree. I'll go farther though.... the Mustangs since the mid 70's all the way up to 2009 were just terrible! This will be my first American car in my life based on this 2010+ appearance. Thank you Ford for doing it right finally.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I drove a 2011 v6 with the performance package. I hate to break the news to anyone but there’s no way the new V6 could even come close to keeping up with my 2008 GT. I have a CAI and a Breenspeed tune and its torque curve and pull is much stronger and in a better place in the rpm band.
- Not doubting your claim, but how were you able to drive a V6 with the PP? Are you involved in some type of automotive journalism?

- Stereotypes exist for a reason. They didn't get pulled out of thin air is what I'm saying. No need to take offense, especially over the internet.

- As far as '09 vs '10, it's all subjective. I mean, I liked the '05-'09 body until the '10 model showed me how blocky the rear looked on the '05-'09. Sure, at first I thought the '10 looked ugly, but it's human nature to resist change. I saw a spoiler-less '10 Sterling Gray V6 convertible today from the back, and I don't see how people can call it ugly.

- As I said earlier, in the '10 GT vs '11 V6 video, the V6 had stock 2.73 gears, while the GT had stock 3.31 gears. Put 3.31 gears (which should have been stock, but Ford needed it to be 2.73 to get that 30+ mpg rating) and I'd say it would be very, very close.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I was reading the latest MotorTrend magazine and they had an extensive write up on all the pony cars. In the back, they had an article on their "long term" experience with a Mazda 6. The engine in the Mazda 6 had the exact SAME specs as the new Mustang V-6 (i.e. the same engine) with just a little less horsepower. No Mazda engines for me in my Mustang!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks, everybody, for all the replies! :bigthumbsup

There are good arguments both ways, and I guess I won't really know what I want to do until I take a new V6 for a test drive.

One thing that's to my advantage is time. I currently have a few cars that are all drivable so I don't need to run out and buy another car just to have transportation. I've been without a Mustang longer than I wanted to be so I've got the bug to get another... but I can wait as long as I want for now 'till I decide what I really want to do.

I haven't ruled out waiting another year or two 'till I can afford a 5.0 either... which is what I'm leaning towards right now. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you're considering going back to the 05-09 body style, then I would recommend you look at an 03/04 Cobra.

The 05-09 is too pudgy and nice looking. The only new Mustang I would buy is the 10/11 body style.

If you're going to spend $28K on a car, then an 03/04 Cobra is going to be a hell of a lot more performance for your money. You can find them with under 10K miles for around $25K.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was reading the latest MotorTrend magazine and they had an extensive write up on all the pony cars. In the back, they had an article on their "long term" experience with a Mazda 6. The engine in the Mazda 6 had the exact SAME specs as the new Mustang V-6 (i.e. the same engine) with just a little less horsepower. No Mazda engines for me in my Mustang!
Engine produced by ford. Twin VCT new.
So what Ford should stick with the ancient iron 4.0? Get real.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think it depends on what your goals are as to which what car to get. If you want 300-350 flywheel hp either of the cars will get you there easily. If you want to make big power get the 05-10 GT. The V6 aftermarket will never offer the sheer amount of parts that will be available for the 4.6 3V engine.
If you get an 05-07 GT it wont have a warranty to ruin so mod away. I dont think I could throw a blower on a brand new car until after the 3rd year. Its one of the reason I did not get a 11GT. You kill the warranty and blow the engine it will be BIG bucks to get it fixed. I saw a 4.6 3V brand new shortblock for under $2K and for $3-5K you can get a forged offering that will swallow all the boost you can give it.

My other option was a 11 GT500 with a FRPP blower installed on delivery with complete warranty. That would of been the BEST deal ever. Too bad it would of been a $60K+ deal adn I cant justify that much coin for a car right now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.