Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is *not* a transmission whine thread.

When in reverse, my 2012 Mustang GT "hums" or whines at slow (parking lot) speeds. It actually isn't transmission related - it happens in neutral if the car rocks backwards. It "hums" as if it's a friction sound. No adverse effects as far as I can tell. I'm thinking maybe brake dust coated something....? Strange it only happens in reverse and once I speed up it stops anyway. Strangely enough, it started happening to my Jetta last year over the winter too.

Anyone come across this before? I find it uncanny it's happened to two different cars (both I have run in HPDE though). Again - not tranny, not when clutch is being engaged or not, etc...just slowly rolling backwards causes a high-pitched "huuuuuuuummmmm"

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
Does it sound kinda like the groan one would hear in an automatic transmission vehicle when sitting at the stoplight and the driver releases a little pressure off the brake pedal and the car nudges forward just a bit? If so I would think its buildup between the pad and rotor. If not, then I have no clue, my car doesn't make that sound.

F

·
0 Posts
This is *not* a transmission whine thread.

When in reverse, my 2012 Mustang GT "hums" or whines at slow (parking lot) speeds. It actually isn't transmission related - it happens in neutral if the car rocks backwards. It "hums" as if it's a friction sound. No adverse effects as far as I can tell. I'm thinking maybe brake dust coated something....? Strange it only happens in reverse and once I speed up it stops anyway.
Hi kpetronis,

I recommend you make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Listen to Deysha, she's the best advice you can get here, then keep us updated. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I was afraid to bring it in for a waste of time. I figured I'd get the "Oh well you changed the brake lines and pads" (amongst a number of things) treatment. Bringing it in is always such a pain. I'm going to experiment the next few times and see if it's just the pad resting on the rotor really. If I can't figure it out, I'll PM Deysha.

F

·
0 Posts
Guess I was afraid to bring it in for a waste of time. I figured I'd get the "Oh well you changed the brake lines and pads" (amongst a number of things) treatment. Bringing it in is always such a pain. I'm going to experiment the next few times and see if it's just the pad resting on the rotor really. If I can't figure it out, I'll PM Deysha.
No problem, kpetronis. I'll be here. :gringreen

Deysha

·
Registered
585 Posts
I get a strange whine too but I only seem to get it when my wife is sitting in the passenger seat and it typically starts with "slow down you're driving like a maniac...." however, it does subside a bit if I give it even more gas :eyepoppin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...I suspected it was just the pads lightly rubbing on the rotors until brought up to speed and I think that's confirmed. I hardly ever use my hand brake....so for S&Gs after hearing the noise for a second I stopped, pumped it on and off a couple times, and continued and voila...no more noise. Even still, for the last 5 days or so it hasn't been making noise either. Maybe since I never use the brake it starts to get tighter around the rotor at rest?

Well whatever it is it had a direct effect it seems so I'm happy with that...just need to use the hand brake once in awhile I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts