Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've developed a sound that mimicks the sound of a supercharger's whine, only not nearly as loud. As the RPMs increase, it gets higher-pitched and louder. It's heard clearly inside the car, but when I pop the hood, I can barely hear it because the rest of the engine noise muffles it too much for it to be located. It seems like it's coming from somewhere around the firewall end..
It does it in neutral, park, and drive.. '96 auto gt

Any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
573 Posts
UM...do you have a "filter chrger" installed...you may be hearing the intake suckin in air??
????????

G

·
TK421DS said:
UM...do you have a "filter chrger" installed...you may be hearing the intake suckin in air??
????????
Thats what i was gonna say. I have the K&N FIPK and when first installed never heard a noise or suckking of air but sicne i installed the PI intake, well had it installed, i get a whistle that is plainy heard, Kinda cool to me :thumbup

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, nothing recent has been installed to make the noise change. It's just developed recently out of the blue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get a whine as well, but its usually the engine sucking air. This is a possibility...but when was the last time you replaced your plug wires and all that? Sometimes when they are old you can get a whine like noise from the speakers in the car. Just figured that since you said you could hear it from the inside and not the outside.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sure it's not coming from the rear?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
check your power steering fluid. the pump starts to get a really noticable whine when the reservoir is low.

·
Registered
676 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
check your power steering fluid. the pump starts to get a really noticable whine when the reservoir is low.

Good point. :gringreen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pinpointed the sound.. It is in fact coming from the two door/window speakers.

Why would I be getting this interferance? What needs to be done to solve it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
As with everything else, things wear out. First check the connections on the speakers. If that doesn't work, replace them. You can get some nice replacements at really decent prices. Does the noise get worse when accelerating? If it does, it may becoming from the head unit. Stereos can be a PITA, and sound quality can be ruined by a few loose wires or wires being to close to each other.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does get worse when accelerating. My headunit is a piece of junk which I paid $50 for and has been causing nothing but stupid problems. I guess you get what you pay for.

I'll check it out in the morning and see if I can solve it.+

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.